Across industries and around the world, debt capital remains a key driver of successful transactions and corporate strategies. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP meets this demand with its extensive experience in structuring innovative and pragmatic financing strategies across a range of asset classes and financing sources to help clients achieve their goals.
Our finance team represents private equity and hedge funds, corporate borrowers and issuers of debt securities, project sponsors and developers, institutional lenders, underwriters, export credit agencies, development finance institutions, Islamic finance institutions, and lessors and lessees in their financing activities in international and domestic syndicated loan, debt, equity, capital and investment markets. We counsel on the full range of debt, credit and lease transactions and have deep experience advising under the laws of the world’s most important commercial finance jurisdictions, including New York, English and Russian laws.
Our clients call upon us for state-of-the-art advice with respect to:
- asset-based lending, including aircraft, vessel and equipment leases
- bank guarantees, letters of credit and bonds
- bond offerings, including high-yield, investment-grade, convertible and Eurobond
- bridge loans
- complex multiple-level capital structures, including first-lien, second-lien and 1.5-lien loans and bond offerings; senior, senior subordinated and subordinated loans and bonds; mezzanine financings; first-out and last-out participations; and unitranche facilities
- credit enhancement, liquidity facilities and bond insurance
- debtor-in-possession (DIP) and exit facilities
- derivatives and hedging arrangements
- energy financings
- export credit and development finance
- entertainment financings
- Islamic finance
- leveraged acquisition financings
- loan and credit agreements of all types and sizes, including term and revolving loans, both secured and unsecured
- pre-export finance
- private placement note purchase agreements
- project financings
- property financings
- public private partnerships, including military housing privatization and privatized lodging financings
- restructurings of all types of debt
- securitizations and ABL facilities
- sovereign loans
- subscription credit facilities for private equity and real estate investment funds
- swaps and hedging arrangements, including interest rate and currency hedges
- trade finance, including letter of credit facilities.
Our clients trust us with their most important finance transactions. We devise all types of financing arrangements to help clients manage their operations and grow their businesses, such as the recent bank and bond financing for the expansion of VimpelCom Ltd. that made it the sixth-largest mobile telecommunications company in the world. We structure acquisition financing for prominent private equity funds to fuel their leveraged buyouts and other investments. We have been centrally involved in some of the largest debt restructurings around the world, including the successful restructurings of LyondellBasell and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. We have advised clients on some of the most significant project financings across a range of sectors, including oil and gas, petrochemicals, power (including renewable), water and wastewater, infrastructure and metals and mining, including the recent project financing of the Khauzak-Shady gas fields in Uzbekistan for LUKOIL.
Last year, we closed in excess of $16 billion in lending and capital markets transactions on behalf of a wide range of global clients. Our lawyers are recognized in the leading legal directories for their finance work.