Alexander Shalaev’s practice focuses on corporate law and securities market law matters. Mr. Shalaev also advises Russian and foreign clients on oil and gas legislation, real estate, antimonopoly and compliance issues.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Shalaev practiced law at another leading international law firm and a Russian investment company.
Mr. Shalaev’s engagements include:
- advising Russian shareholders on the sale of a 50 percent interest in a Russian oil company and creation of a joint venture with strategic Chinese investors
- advising one of the largest Russian oil companies on the sale and leaseback of more than 7,000 petroleum tank cars to a well-known Russian carrier, as well as on the sale of other noncore assets to Russian and foreign companies
- representing an international mining company in connection with the acquisition of a blocking stake in a leading Russian gold mining company
- representing a foreign investment fund in connection with a reorganization of OAO Avtovaz aimed at eliminating the cross-holding structure, as well as the subsequent sale by the fund of a 25 percent stake plus one share in OAO Avtovaz to Renault and the related negotiation of a shareholders agreement of OAO Avtovaz
- advising a Russian investment company on the formation of a JV and agricultural holding in the Far East
- advising a major Russian oil and gas company in connection with a Eurobond offering.