Charles R. Gibbs has extensive experience representing debtors, as well as both secured and unsecured creditors, in complex financial restructurings both in chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings.
Practice & Background
Mr. Gibbs regularly serves as counsel to both banks and nonbank lenders, servicers of commercial mortgage securitized trusts, bondholders and trade creditors, and acquirers of distressed assets. Mr. Gibbs has particular experience in the real estate and oil and gas industries, and his restructuring engagements often involve multijurisdictional and cross-border matters.
Mr. Gibbs received his B.A. from Duke University in 1974 and both his M.B.A. and J.D. in 1978 from Southern Methodist University, where he was lead articles editor of the SMU Law Review, f/k/a Southwestern Law Journal. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association and the Dallas Bar Association. Mr. Gibbs is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Mr. Gibbs lectures frequently on various bankruptcy and creditors rights topics.
Mr. Gibbs is a member of Akin Gump’s Management Committee and the Chair of Akin Gump’s Partnership Admissions Committee.
Mr. Gibbs’ recent engagements include:
- the Official Committee of Equity Security Holders of Seahawk Drilling, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Noteholders of R.E. Loans, LLC, et al.
- Debtor’s counsel - Edge Petroleum Corporation, et al.
- Debtor’s counsel - Foothills Texas, Inc., et al.
- Debtor’s counsel - Barnes Bay Development, Ltd.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured creditors of Chi Chi’s, Inc., et al.
- Debtor’s counsel - Gadzooks, Inc.
- Board of Trustees of Dallas Opera Company
- past Board Member of Dallas Chapter of American Heart Association
- Board of Trustees of Knox College
- Elder of Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004-2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2014)
- The International Who’s Who Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers (2008-2012)
- Texas “Super Lawyer” (2005-2012).