David J. D’Urso, a partner resident in Akin Gump’s New York office, represents private equity sponsors, venture capital investors, lenders and portfolio companies in a wide variety of public and private transactions, including leveraged acquisitions, growth equity investments, PIPE transactions, debt financings and restructurings.
Practice & Background
Mr. D’Urso advises on matters relating to corporate governance, management compensation, follow-on acquisitions, recapitalizations, securities offerings and liquidity and exit events.
Mr. D’Urso received his B.A. in political science and Italian language and literature in 1992 from Binghamton University with “Outstanding Academic Performance,” his M.A. in international relations in 1995 from St. John’s University and his J.D. in 1996 from Case Western Reserve University.
He is a frequent speaker at various high-caliber corporate events including most recently, a Cornell University presentation regarding the future of “green” investing, the Corporate Board Member Magazine’s Annual Boardroom Summit where he spoke about the use of purchase price earn-outs in the current dealmaking economy and a mergermarket forum, during which he discussed key private equity deal terms. He is a member of the New York Bar and the Corporation Law Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. D’Urso’s recent representations include:
- the acquisition and related financing of a specialty finance merchant funding lender
- the acquisition of a national kosher food manufacturer and distributor
- the acquisition and related financing of a national newspaper publisher
- the acquisition and related financing of a for profit education provider
- the acquisition of an international packaging materials manufacturer and the senior secured financing associated with such transaction
- the sale of the entire Southeast division of the consumer food distribution operations of a public company
- the acquisition and related financing of an online education-referral provider and multiple subsequent add-on acquisitions
- the acquisition of a public business consulting company in a “going private” transaction
- the sale of a quick service restaurant franchisor and related consent solicitation to redeem outstanding high-yield debt securities necessary to consummate such transaction
- a significant growth equity investment in an East Coast offshore wind power generating company
- the recapitalization of a national fitness operating company through the purchase of all of the portfolio company’s outstanding first lien indebtedness
- the sale of a sponsor’s entire Latin American investment portfolio to a fund of funds in the secondary market
- the acquisition and related financing of an advertising and marketing company, three subsequent add-on acquisitions and the senior secured financings associated with such transactions
- investment in convertible preferred stock of a public ethanol production company
- the acquisition of the global VSAT satellite assets of a division of a public telecommunications company
- the first and second lien secured financing of the acquisition of an international aluminum engine parts manufacturer
- the acquisition of a controlling interest in a west coast newspaper and television company in connection with the conversion of senior secured debt
- the acquisition of a Las Vegas home builder in connection with the conversion of senior secured debt
- restructuring of a magazine publisher resulting in the conversion of a significant portion of the company’s public debt into all of the equity of the company.
- Lead Akin Gump’s annual Deal Maker’s Boot Camp series, a program for young private equity and investment banking professionals. This includes speaking on legal issues in M&A transactions, tax considerations for M&A transactions and distressed M&A deals.
- CLE Series for In-house Counsel titled “Transactional Insurance Products”