David R. Clonts focuses on intellectual property litigation and strategic counseling.
Practice & Background
Mr. Clonts is active in all aspects of intellectual property protection, with a particular focus on, and experience in, electronics, software, computer technology, medical devices, networks and the Internet, telecommunications systems and protocols, and business methods. In these fields he has litigated patent issues, provided strategic intellectual property guidance and counseling, licensed intellectual property and managed intellectual property aspects of corporate transactions. He also has provided strategic advice and counseling to Fortune 500 companies on a variety of intellectual property issues.
Mr. Clonts’ recent experience includes:
- defending one of the world’s largest semiconductor memory chip manufacturers against patent infringement claims to a take-nothing jury verdict in New Jersey. The case was named in the National Law Journal’s 2007 “Defense Hot List.”
- defending one of the nation’s top broadband communications providers in three patent cases to favorable settlements, two in the Eastern District of Texas
- representing successfully a patentee against a competitor for the patent infringement of a radar detector patent
- representing successfully the plaintiff in a multimillion-dollar patent suit regarding encryption technology in garage door openers; case settled in favor of our client on the eve of trial
- representing an indemnity defendant in litigation and successfully obtaining an indemnity following settlement of a set-top cable-box technology patent
- representing a plaintiff alleging infringement of a patent related to blades for use in microkeratomes, ophthalmic devices used in LASIK; settled favorably to client, with defendant exiting the business
- defending client against patent infringement claims regarding answering-machine technology; case settled on terms favorable for client
Long-Term Counseling Relationships
- advice, counseling and litigation to one of the top ophthalmic medical device companies for over 15 years, focusing on refractive medical devices, lasers and lenses
- strategic counseling and opinion work for one of the nation’s top telecommunications service providers for nearly 10 years, focusing on mobile telephony, network systems and business methods
- counseling, strategic transaction analysis and patent litigation for one of the nation’s top broadband providers for over five years, focusing on network technology, routing and content delivery.
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America, Patent Litigation (2013)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2005 to 2012)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2007 to 2013)