José H. Villarreal is a consultant to the firm and provides strategic counseling to firm clients on a range of legal and policy issues affecting such clients.
Practice & Background
Prior to becoming a consultant to Akin Gump, Mr. Villarreal was a longtime partner with the firm.
He served as U.S. Commissioner General to the Shanghai 2010 World Expo, a post to which he was named by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Mr. Villarreal currently serves on the board of directors of Union Pacific. From 1998 to 2006 he served on the board of directors of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Mr. Villarreal has been recognized by numerous publications for his achievements and in 2011 he received a distinguished alumni award from Purdue University. In 2001, Mr. Villarreal was inducted into the prestigious Academy of Law Alumni Fellows by the Indiana University School of Law.
- Assistant Attorney General, Texas Attorney General Office, Public Finance Division
- Associate Director, White House Office of Presidential Personnel.
Mr. Villarreal has a broad political background as well and has served in senior roles in a number of presidential campaigns, including being:
- a senior advisor to Senator Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign
- the national treasurer of the Gore-Lieberman campaign (2000)
- the deputy campaign manager of the Clinton-Gore campaign (1992).
Mr. Villarreal has long been active in civic affairs and has served on the governing boards of numerous organizations, both public and private. He serves on the following boards:
- Teach For America
- the KIPP Foundation
- Leadership for Educational Equity
- Center for American Progress
- Cisneros Center for New Americans
- the U.S. Mexico Foundation.
Mr. Villareal previously served as chairman of the board of the National Council of La Raza, where he led a successful capital campaign that raised funds to establish a headquarters building in Washington, D.C.
He also served as vice chair of the board of the U.S. Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute and the Close-Up Foundation, the nation’s leading civic education organization.