Marwan Elrakabawy focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and complex commercial litigation—including patent disputes—trademark and trade dress disputes, contract disputes, business torts, insurance litigation, and other civil litigation matters.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Elrakabawy served as a law clerk to the Honorable W. Eugene Davis of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the Honorable Irma E. Gonzalez, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Mr. Elrakabawy received his B.A. in computer science in 2003 from the University of Texas at Austin. While an undergraduate, he worked as a research associate for the University of Texas’s Department of Computer Science’s Knowledge Base Systems Group. Mr. Elrakabawy earned his J.D. with honors in 2006 from the University of Texas School of Law. While in law school, he served as a legislative assistant in the Texas House of Representatives and as a law intern to the Honorable Phil Johnson of the Texas Supreme Court.
Mr. Elrakabawy’s notable engagements include representing:
- one of the largest beverage manufacturers in the world in litigation in the Southern District of Texas seeking to protect and enjoin a competitor from appropriating trade dress and a design patent
- one of the largest medical device companies in the United States in patent infringement litigation in the Western District of Oklahoma that involved devices used to deliver balloon catheters and stents
- a major supplier of laptop computers in multiple cases in the Western and Eastern Districts of Texas involving WiFi and Bluetooth wireless technologies
- one of the largest supplier of laptop computers in the Eastern District of Texas against claims relating to a wireless server system
- a large national insurer in a class action lawsuit involving securities fraud claims in the state courts of California based on alleged conflicts of interest by registered representatives in the sale of securities and hybrid securities/insurance products
- a large wire and cable manufacturer in patent infringement litigation against a major competitor related to technology used to impregnate commercial and residential building wire with lubricants designed to reduce friction during installation (Eastern District of Texas, and related cases in Northern District of Georgia)
- a leading outsourcing company in patent infringement and fraud litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving call processing software
- an asylum seeker from an African country who sought protection on the basis of his past service in the United States Armed Forces.
Awards & Accolades
In 2010, Mr. Elrakabawy was named Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s Austin Pro Bono Attorney of the Year.