Michael J. Stepek’s practice is centered on international arbitration and litigation, international private and public law and international trade, with a particular focus on disputes involving the control of corporate entities, foreign direct investment, concession agreements, major infrastructure construction projects, and joint ventures in the energy, mining, telecommunications and transportation industries. Mr. Stepek is licensed in the United States and is a solicitor in England and Wales.
Practice & Background
With nearly 25 years’ experience in international law, Mr. Stepek represents multinational companies, governments and governmental entities before numerous international forums and institutional rules, including the International Chamber of Commerce, the London Court of International Arbitration, the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration, the International Center for Dispute Resolution and the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. Mr. Stepek also acts as an arbitrator in regard to such disputes. In addition, he counsels clients on various international commercial, investment and trade matters, including the rights and obligations arising out of bilateral and multilateral investment treaties, harmonizing national legislation and regulations with international obligations, drafting proposed legislation, negotiation of proposed legislation and various commercial agreements, particularly those in private capital transactions, such as share purchase agreements, loan facility agreements, joint venture agreements, sales contracts and technology transfer and licensing agreements, and matters pending before the various international organizations in Geneva.
Mr. Stepek is a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and is an adjunct faculty member of the Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy, which teaches practical trial skills to practicing international arbitration practitioners.
Mr. Stepek is also a founder of the Institute for Law and Development Policy, an NGO focused on providing practicing legal practitioners to various publicly and privately funded, rule-of-law programs in postconflict states.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Global 2013
- Chambers Global 2012 recommends Mr. Stepek for his “impressive attention to detail.”
- The Legal 500 2012: Europe, Middle East & Africa recommends Mr. Stepek for being “very strong in formulating arguments”, “a sharp thinker, very independent and self-sufficient” and “always gets excellent results.”
- The Legal 500 2012 describes the Geneva offices’ international arbitration and WTO practices as “world-class” and the dispute resolution practice as “superb” and “extremely business-orientated.”
- Chambers Global 2009/2010/2011 noted Mr. Stepek for his “client-focused approach and ‘excellence in forming arguments’ mark him out for praise from clients.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2010 recommends Mr. Stepek and his team which “lives and breathes arbitration.” Previous issues have noted their “deep knowledge of international arbitration – rules, procedures, strategy and importantly, personalities. These guys know international arbitration – they have an instinct for it.”