Natalia R. Baratiants is a senior partner based in the Moscow office. She focuses on corporate and securities transactions; international transactions in Russia; and the Russian legislative, regulatory and political system.
Ms. Baratiants represents clients on a broad range of corporate, finance and capital markets matters, in particular focusing on mergers and acquisitions and on securities transactions. She has extensive experience in representing leading Russian clients in high-profile and complex cross-border projects, as well as in major joint ventures in the oil and gas sector. She also has substantial experience with commercial dispute resolutions, representing leading Russian companies in international arbitrations. Ms. Baratiants represents both Russian and Western companies in connection with their investments in the CIS countries and Central and Eastern Europe. She also advises companies in structuring strategic and portfolio investments and in gaining access to the international debt and equity markets.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump in 1993, she worked as an in-house counsel at the Ministry of State Property.
Until 1991, Ms. Baratiants was a research associate at the Institute of State and Law of the USSR Academy of Sciences in Moscow, where her areas of concentration were civil law, international business transactions and U.S. commercial law.
Ms. Baratiants is a member of the firm’s management committee and other firm committees.
Ms. Baratiants’ engagements include:
- advising LUKOIL on the formation of the LUKARCO Joint Venture with Atlantic Richfield Company and the establishment of a $4.5 billion project finance facility
- advising LUKOIL on the private placement of the company’s shares and ADR totaling $260 million
- advising LUKOIL on two convertible bond offerings totaling $452 million
- advising LUKOIL on the listing of its shares on the London Stock Exchange, including the sale of an interest owned by the federal government; LUKOIL was the first Russian company to do this
- representing LUKOIL in litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado in connection with a claim filed by Archangel Diamond Corporation for an amount in excess of $4.5 billion
- advising LUKOIL on corporate governance matters related to compliance with the LSE Listing Rules
- advising LUKOIL in connection with the creation of a strategic alliance with the U.S. oil company ConocoPhillips and formation of a joint venture to develop oil fields in the Nenets Autonomous Okrug in the northern part of Russia
- advising the Center for Capital Markets Development (CCMD) in connection with the World Bank-funded projects to develop new securities legislation (including the drafting of federal laws and regulations of the Federal Commission for Securities Market).
Awards & Accolades
Ms. Baratiants is constantly ranked by leading legal publications, such as Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, Legal 500 EMEA and Best Lawyers, as one of the top lawyers in corporate and energy sectors in Russia.