P. John Burke focuses on media finance, with an emphasis on motion picture transactions. He head’s the firm’s entertainment and media practice.
Practice & Background
Mr. Burke represents financial institutions, investment banks, studios, equity and hedge funds, independent production companies, distributors and high-net-worth individuals on various aspects of financing film, television and other projects involving intellectual properties. He has extensive experience advising clients with respect to structuring and executing film slate financings, complex distribution agreements, tax-advantaged financing, subsidies and co-production arrangements in various countries throughout the world. He has also represented major studios and others in the creation, acquisition and development of various themed attractions, including related retail entertainment complexes.
Mr. Burke serves as an officer of and corporate counsel to the American Film Institute and as a member of the advisory committee of the UCLA Entertainment Law Symposium. He has served as co-chair of the advisory committee of the UCLA Entertainment Law Symposium, a member of the advisory board of the AFI International Film Festival and the board of directors of the Japan America Society. He is a member of the Commercial Law & Bankruptcy and Intellectual Property & Entertainment Law Sections of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and the Entertainment Law Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
Mr. Burke’s recent engagements include representing:
- an investor group in a slate co-financing distribution arrangement with a studio that includes a joint venture for the distribution of the studio’s films in China by the investor group
- an investor group in a slate co-financing distribution arrangement with a studio
- Ratpac-Dune Entertainment in negotiating and structuring its multi-year slate co-financing agreement with Warner Bros. Pictures
- a major investment bank in the reorganization of The Weinstein Company
- a major New York-based hedge fund in the acquisition from Citibank of Class A and Class B shares in the Beverly 1 slate financing facility with Sony Pictures
- a local fund devoted to co-financing studio films in its credit facility with JPMorgan
- a major US national bank as lender in a financing for a Sony film slate; as lender in connection with the first ever slate financing for a major European distributor; as lender in a financing in connection with The Hunger Games, Snow White, 21 & Over, Movie 43, Acts of Valor
- a major New York-based hedge fund in a $600 million, multi picture production and distribution deal with Fox
- a Hong Kong-based investment bank in a $275 million credit facility to Village Roadshow. That deal won the “Private Equity Deal of the Year” award at the 2013 International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Asia Awards
- a major US national bank as lender in various production financings in connection with Good Deeds, Step Up 4, The Last Stand, Now You See Me, Madea’s Safe House, and Ender’s Game
- two major US banks as lenders in connection with the financing for Breaking Dawn 1&2
- a sovereign wealth fund in its relationships with Hyde Park, Parkes MacDonald, National Geographic and Participant Media
- multiple financial institutions and other clients in various substantial participation audits with major studios
Awards & Accolades
- “Legal Eagle” in Variety magazine’s “Dealmakers Impact Report” (2013 and 2012)
- Variety’s magazine’s transactional lawyers section of “Legal Impact Report” (2013)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004-2013)
- The Hollywood Reporter’s “Top 100 Power Lawyers” (2007-2013)
- The Hollywood Reporter’s 20 movers and shakers you’ve got to meet at AFM” (2009)
- Daily Variety’s “Hollywood Law Impact List” (2007)
- “The Best Lawyers in America” (2006-2014)
- Best of the Best 2011 Expert Guides’ “America’s Top 25 Pre-Eminent Practitioners”
- Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Law” (2010)
- Marquis Who’s Who’s “Who’s Who in American Law 2011-2012” (17th Edition)
- Marquis Who’s Who’s “Who’s Who in the West 2014” (41st Edition)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business “Best Media Group of 2012”
- The M&A Advisor’s 9th Annual M&A Advisor Awards finalist (November 2011).
- “Film: What’s the Deal?” California CPA Entertainment Industry Conference, June 2012.