Patrick J. Dooley’s practice centers on providing advice to investment fund and corporate clients in complex advisory and transactional matters.
Practice & Background
Mr. Dooley provides trading and compliance advice with respect to publicly traded securities positions, including insider trading, proxy contests, tender offers, “group” issues and shareholder activism. He also provides advice on fiduciary issues to shareholders and directors of public and private companies.
Mr. Dooley has extensive experience in public and private acquisition transactions, including negotiated and unsolicited transactions, as well as in representing investment groups and issuers in private equity and capital markets matters.
Mr. Dooley speaks regularly at conferences and client seminars on a variety of topical subjects, including insider trading, fiduciary duties, public M&A and private equity.
Mr. Dooley’s recent representations include advising:
- Cerberus Capital Management in connection with its $1.5 billion leveraged buyout of defense contractor DynCorp International
- a publicly traded insurance company in connection with a $3 billion merger, including responding to a competing tender offer and proxy contest
- Russian cellular operator VimpelCom in its $23 billion combination with Kievstar and its $4.3 billion tender offer for Golden Telecom, Inc.
- a U.S. hedge/private equity fund as an equity investor in the $4 billion acquisition of Laureate Education, Inc.
Special Committee Transactions
- Symbion, Inc., in its $500 million acquisition by private equity funds
- CNL Retirement Properties, Inc. in its $5.3 billion merger with Health Care Properties Investors
- Vermont Teddy Bear, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by private equity firms and senior management
- U.S. private equity funds in connection with the €1.6 billion acquisition and subsequent resale to Telekom Austria of Mobiltel, the largest wireless telecom operator in Bulgaria
- OAO Lukoil, one of the world’s largest oil companies, in the first-ever acquisition by a Russian company of a public company in the United States.
Advice to Investment Funds
- internal and external compliance matters
- insider trading and anti-manipulation law and regulation
- reporting and disclosure obligations under the federal securities laws
- issues associated with activist investing.