Prakash H. Mehta is the co-leader of the firm’s investment funds and private equity practice and a member of the firm’s management committee.
Practice & Background
Mr. Mehta regularly represents a broad range of investment management clients and advises on complex corporate transactions. He represents private equity and hedge fund sponsors; investment banks; and institutional investors, including endowments, multilateral organizations and multinational groups.
Mr. Mehta regularly advises some of the more prominent private investment fund sponsors and investment banks on all aspects of their business, from capital raising and fund formation to implementation of their business models via complex transactions. Mr. Mehta also advises clients on manager-level transactions such as seed investments in fund managers, the creation of asset managers through joint ventures, and spin-outs of existing asset management teams (including proprietary trading desks). Mr. Mehta’s representation of a broad range of asset managers and institutional investors allows him to keep abreast of emerging trends in the private equity, hedge fund and real estate industries. This knowledge and experience is particularly valuable as convergence across asset classes continues to play out in the marketplace.
Mr. Mehta’s practice includes advising clients on investment and financing transactions, with particular emphasis on complex international transactions. Mr. Mehta evaluates, structures and negotiates private equity-style investments (minority and control), exit transactions (strategic sale, recapitalization, IPO) and other M&A transactions (joint ventures, stock and asset sales). He provides ongoing counseling on investor and portfolio company matters and serves as corporate counsel to public and private portfolio companies.
Mr. Mehta received his J.D. magna cum laude in 1994 from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he served as associate editor of The Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.S.F.S. summa cum laude in 1991 from Georgetown University. Mr. Mehta also maintains an office in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Mehta is involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities that include being an advisory board member of the Emerging Markets Private Equity Association and an advisory council member for Columbia University’s Committee for Global Thought.
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Mehta has been recognized for his accomplishments in the investment management industry including:
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2008 through 2014)
- The National Law Journal as one of the 50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America
- Institutional Investor as one of 10 Rising Stars of Private Equity and M&A Law
The Who’s Who Legal 100: Private Funds, 2014 and 2015.
- Regular panelist at the Emerging Market Private Equity Forum
- Moderated Cybersecurity Policy Implications at “The Cybersecurity Pandemic” in New York, NY
- Participated as a speaker at the United Nations High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development
- Participated in Practising Law Institute’s Thirteenth Annual Private Equity Forum, in New York, NY
- Spoke at the 14th Annual Global Private Equity Conference at the Fairmont in Washington, D.C.
- Chaired session titled “Comparative roles of private equity, infrastructure funds, SWFs, commercial banks, ECAs, and multilaterals in project finance today”
- Spoke on “Optimizing Market Trends and Opportunities After the Impact of the Global Financial Markets Crisis” at the Sixth Annual Investorside Research Conference at the Bloomberg Conference Center.