Rubén H. Muñoz practices law in the area of intellectual property, with an emphasis on patent infringement litigation.
Practice & Background
Mr. Muñoz has experience in all phases of patent infringement litigation, including pre-suit investigation, discovery, motions practice, claim construction, witness examination at trial, and appeal. He has represented companies in lawsuits involving a wide array of technologies, including automotive, medical devices, biotechnology, consumer products, pharmaceuticals, electronics and software.
In addition to his patent litigation work, Mr. Muñoz has counseled clients in developing IP strategies around various clean technology inventions. He is the co-author of the “2009 Cleantech Patent Forecast,” a study aimed at predicting the patent landscape in the biofuels, solar, fuel cell, hybrid-electric and wind sectors. Mr. Muñoz has also successfully represented pro bono clients in immigration court in Cancellation of Removal proceedings.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Muñoz spent five years at Ford Motor Company’s Scientific Research Lab. While at Ford, he focused on the development of direct-injection gasoline engines, and was part of a team that developed the “vortex-induced stratified-charge combustion system,” an invention for which he holds a patent. He has published several articles in the area of particulate emissions and in 1998 won the Best Paper Award from the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute.
Mr. Muñoz is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and holds a certificate in business and public policy from the Wharton School. He holds a master’s degree in mechanical engineering and a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from Louisiana State University.
Mr. Muñoz’s recent representations include:
- currently defending pharmaceutical company in patent infringement lawsuit involving biologic medical product (District of Massachusetts)
- currently representing manufacturer of consumer products in patent and trade dress infringement lawsuit involving sports equipment (District of New Jersey)
- currently defending electronic device manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuit involving Ethernet technology (Eastern District of Texas)
- currently defending medical device company in patent infringement lawsuit involving injectable viscosupplements to treat osteoarthritis (District of Massachusetts)
- defended electronic device manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuit involving random access of digital information (District of Delaware)
- defended consumer electronics company in ITC 337 proceeding involving patents on video-on-demand and parental controls technologies
- represented electronic device manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuit involving temperature sensors in office equipment (Eastern District of Texas)
- defended a pharmaceutical company in patent infringement lawsuit involving biotechnology patent (Central District of California)
- defended an international automobile manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuit involving integration of portable devices in vehicle systems (Eastern District of Texas)
- defended a global software company in patent infringement lawsuits involving encryption technology (Eastern District of Virginia and Eastern District of New York)
- defended a medical device company in patent infringement lawsuit involving surgical instruments (District of Connecticut).
Awards & Accolades
- Mr. Munoz has been named by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in the field of intellectual property litigation (2013-2015).