Shawn Davis’ practice focuses on energy law with a particular concentration on large oil, gas, petrochemicals and power and water projects. He has significant experience drafting and negotiating construction and other project agreements.
Practice & Background
Before joining Akin Gump, Mr. Davis worked for four years in the Abu Dhabi office of a major U.S. law firm, where he advised on a broad range of energy, infrastructure and industrial projects, and corporate matters. He also worked at a major Canadian law firm, where he represented banks in connection with energy company financings and advised on energy regulatory matters.
Mr. Davis completed an LL.B./M.B.A. degree in 2004 at the University of Calgary, where he received the Frederick and Marguerite Hulme Scholarship for joint LL.B./M.B.A. studies and where he was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma international honors society upon completion of his M.B.A. studies. In 2009, he completed a corporate governance program at Harvard Business School (Executive Education).
He is admitted to the Supreme Court of England and Wales (solicitor) and the Law Society of Alberta (solicitor and barrister). He is a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators. Mr. Davis is recognized in the Legal 500 (2014) rankings for projects and energy, as well as construction.
Mr. Davis’ engagements include representing:
Midstream, LNG, Ports, and Terminals
- the offtaker in relation to a project for the import of LNG cargos from the international market and the supply of more than 1 billion cubic feet/day of natural gas
- the offtaker in relation to the offtake of gas from a planned floating storage regasification unit
- a Middle East national oil company in relation to the renegotiation with its co-venturers of the GASCO natural gas processing concession involving the expansion and operation of four plants for the extraction of natural gas liquids (NGLs), together with the associated pipeline network
- a developer (Mashreq Petroleum) of an oil products storage and bunkering terminal facility at Port Said, Egypt
- a construction manager in the development of an oil pipeline in southern Iraq
- a developer of a crude oil pipeline, including advising on technology licensing matters
- a developer (a JV between Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation and National Petroleum Company) of offshore and onshore pipelines, an offshore oil platform, and onshore processing facility
- a developer of a natural gas pipeline from Taweelah to Fujairah, UAE
- a developer in its gas processing plant and cross-border pipeline network project in Qatar and the UAE
Oil and Gas – Downstream/Refineries
- a GCC developer in relation to process license matters for its planned refinery with an anticipated processing capacity of 200,000 barrels per day
- a developer in its US$3.7 billion financing for the redevelopment of its refinery in Egypt
- a developer (Takreer) in its crude oil and condensate refining and granulated sulphur projects
- a developer (Borouge) in the expansion of an ethylene and polyethylene plant at Ruwais, Abu Dhabi
- a global chemicals company in the design and construction of a world-scale integrated petrochemicals complex to be located in Saudi Arabia
- a developer (ChemaWEyaat) in its chemicals industrial city project at Abu Dhabi
- a developer (Egyptian Refining Company) of an oil refinery at Mostorod, Egypt
- International Petroleum Investment Company in its acquisition of a 20 percent stake in Cosmo Energy
- lenders in the financing of the National Petrochemicals Company polymer production project at Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
- a major international energy company in relation to its development of a supergiant oil field in the Middle East
- a developer of the drilling and related development of a large sour gas reservoir in the GCC
- an investor in an oil and gas block in the autonomous Kurdistan region
- Abu Dhabi National Drilling Company (NDC) in its procurement of onshore and offshore oil drilling rigs
- an oilfield services company in a bid to provide coiled tubing intervention tools and services to a GCC oil company to enhance reservoir performance
- a U.S. oilfield services company in relation to commercial arrangements for the provision of specialist drilling services (including directional drilling, logging while drilling, and measurements while drilling) and proprietary drilling tools and methods in various international locations
- an oilfield services firm (Weatherford International Ltd.) in its acquisition of Precision Drilling Corp.'s Energy Services Division and International Contract Drilling Division in a cash and stock deal worth US$2.28 billion
Power and Water
- a buyer of a 50 percent interest in the 205.5 MW wind project located in the Midwestern U.S. from a subsidiary of Electricite de France SA
- a developer of a 200 MW gas-fired power plant in the northern part of the West Bank of Palestine
- a developer in the development of a 100 MW photovoltaic plant
- a developer in the planned conversion of two existing gas-fired power generating facilities located in the GCC, from single cycle mode to combined cycle mode by the installation of waste heat recovery boilers, steam turbines and related infrastructure
- a major utility in the UAE on corporate commercial, government procurement, policy and regulatory matters, such as EPC, interconnection, cooperation and strategic alliance, power transmission and service agreements, asset transfer transactions, smart-grid and renewables initiatives, and corporate governance
- Elliniki Technodomiki TEB in its bid for a BOOT project for the design, construction, finance, and operation and maintenance of two wastewater complexes in Abu Dhabi
- a lead bank in connection with a Cdn$144 million wind power project financing located in Manitoba, Canada
Projects – Other Industries
- a key stakeholder in relation to the development of four nuclear power plants
- a lender on a Cdn$352 million credit facility in relation to the development of the Nunavik nickel project in Northern Quebec, Canada
- a developer (Ruwais Fertilizer Industries (FERTIL)) of a US$1.2 billion Ammonia (2,000 MTPD) and Urea Plant (3,500 MTPD) Project in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- FERTIL in the expansion (doubling the capacity) of its existing Urea Plant at Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Rio Tinto Aluminium in the development of the Abu Dhabi Aluminium Company (ADALCO) smelter project
- a contractor in a project to build a new city in Iraq, which will consist of housing units and related key infrastructure as part of the mission of the National Investment Commission of the Republic of Iraq (NIC) to build up to one million houses
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company in the development of the Abu Dhabi International Airport
- an international school in connection with its expansion project.
Awards & Accolades
- Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa (2014) describes Mr. Davis as oil and gas specialist who is “commercially pragmatic, very thorough and has a deep understanding of local law”.
- Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa (2014) recognizes Mr. Davis in the area of construction and states that he is “extremely responsive to client needs and a very thorough lawyer”.
- Moderated a panel titled Evolution and Future Potential of the IPP and IWPP Market in the Middle East Region at the MEED 15th Annual Middle East Project Finance Conference in January 2012
- Presented on the topic of Mega Petrochemicals Projects in Saudi Arabia at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2012
- Presented on the topic of Contracting Strategies for the Middle East Petrochemicals Industry at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2013