Practice & Background
Former U.S. Congressman Tom Loeffler has extensive experience with the federal government, including Congress, the executive branch and federal agencies. He also has broad experience in all levels of state and local government. Mr. Loeffler has represented clients and their interests in business strategy development and implementation, financial services, domestic and international taxation, health care, energy and utilities, national defense, advanced technology, recreation and entertainment, telecommunications, construction, environment, transportation, and trade and other international issues.
Mr. Loeffler’s recent engagements include a diverse set of clients as well as a broad spectrum of issues including advising:
- United States Automobile Association (USAA), in issues including insurance and banking legislation and regulation
- Texas Association for Home Care & Hospice on Medicare and Medicaid issues
- Hong Kong Trade Development Council on international trade and development matters
- Nextgen ID, Inc on cybersecurity and biometric applications
- Greenlet Investment, LLC on matters related to distressed real estate held by the U.S. government
- Association to Invest in the USA (IIUSA) immigration interests before Congress and the Administration.
Mr. Loeffler has a distinguished record of public service, including four terms in the U.S. House of Representatives (1979-1987) representing the 21st Congressional District of Texas. As such, he has served:
- in Republican Leadership as deputy whip in his second term and as chief deputy during his third and fourth terms
- as a member of the Appropriations Committee (subcommittees on Interior and Military Construction), the Energy and Commerce Committee (subcommittees on Telecommunications and Energy and Power) and the Budget Committee
- as White House special assistant for legislative affairs to President Gerald R. Ford and legislative counsel to the late Sen. John Tower
- when called upon by President Ronald Reagan to function as principal coordinator for Central America in the White House Office of Legislative Affairs, in which capacity his assistance in resolving sensitive foreign policy issues led to the development of the Wright-Reagan Plan for Central America
- Mr. Loeffler has a long-standing commitment to higher education and is a former member of the University of Texas System’s Board of Regents (1989-2001), and served in numerous capacities, including Vice Chairman and Chairman of the board. Appointed by Gov. William P. Clements, he was reappointed to a second term by Gov. George W. Bush. In addition, he serves on The Chancellor’s Council of the University of Texas System, The University of Texas at Austin Development Board, The University of Texas Law School Foundation.
Mr. Loeffler has advised candidates in local, state and federal campaigns, and served in many capacities, from his early political years through the current presidential election, including acting as the:
- Founding Member, Romney Victory 2012
- National Chairman for Gov. Jon Huntsman’s presidential campaign (2011)
- National Finance Chairman for John McCain (2008)
- Co-Chairman, President’s Dinner (2005, 2004, 2001, 1992)
- South Texas Co-Chairman, Bush-Cheney ’04, Inc. (2004)
- National Co-Chairman, Republican National Committee’s Team 100 (2003-2005 and 1997-1998)
- National Finance Co-Chairman, George W. Bush for President (1999-2000)
- Texas Regional Finance Chairman, George W. Bush for Governor (1998)
- National Finance Chairman, Phil Gramm for President (1996)
- National Deputy Finance Chairman, Dole for President (1996)
- Texas Finance Co-Chairman, George W. Bush for Governor (1994)
- Texas delegate to the Republican National Conventions (1992, 1988 and 1984)
- National Advisor to the 1992 Bush-Quayle Campaign
- Texas Co-Chairman, Bush for President (1988).
Mr. Loeffler has a long-standing commitment to community service, including:
- serving on the Chancellor’s Council of the University of Texas System
- serving on the University of Texas at Austin Development Board
- serving on the University of Texas Law School Foundation
- having served on boards of hospitals and hospital systems
- having served on the Executive Committee of the San Antonio Livestock Exhibition (SALE), which provides college scholarships to needy young people
- having led or participated in numerous fund-raising efforts for the University of Texas System over the last 20 years.
Awards & Accolades
- Mr. Loeffler has been repeatedly named a Texas Super Lawyer, a distinction conferred upon only 5 percent of Texas attorneys
- He was named a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Texas at Austin (2003)
- He was named a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Texas School of Law (2002).