Former U.S. Congressman Victor H. Fazio advises clients on a range of public policy and government relations issues.
Practice & Background
Mr. Fazio served for 20 years as a member of Congress, representing California’s 3rd District. During his tenure of distinguished public service, he was appointed to the House Appropriations Committee, serving as a subcommittee chairman or ranking member for 18 years. He was also a member of the Armed Services, Budget, Ethics and House Administration committees. In addition to his role on the Appropriations Committee, Mr. Fazio was active in the Democratic leadership of the House, holding several appointive and elected positions. He served as the vice chair of the Democratic Caucus from 1989 until 1994, when he was elected chairman, the third-ranking position in the House. He was the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the political arm of the House Democrats, for four years in the early 1990s. He also was a majority whip-at-large and served as a regional representative on the Democratic Steering and Policy Committee.
Before his election to Congress, Mr. Fazio served in the California State Assembly. Prior to being elected to public office, he was a senior assistant to the speaker of the California Assembly.
After his retirement from Congress in 1998, Mr. Fazio served as the co-managing partner of strategic communications consulting firm Clark & Weinstock in Washington.
Mr. Fazio is a graduate of Union College in Schenectady, New York, and served as a CORO Foundation Fellow in California upon graduation. He has a significant background in journalism and co-founded the California Journal, a periodical covering state government and politics.
Awards & Accolades
- Consistently named by The Hill as one of Washington, D.C.’s “Top Lobbyists” (2005-2013)
- Named among the 30 most powerful lobbyists in Washington, D.C. by First Street Research Group (2011)
Mr. Fazio is involved in community, civic and charitable activities that include serving on numerous boards including:
- The United States Association of Former Members of Congress
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- National Parks Conservation Association
- the Campaign Finance Institute
- Energy Future Coalition
- the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
- Center for Strategic Budgetary Assessments
- The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
- UC Davis Medical School Advisory Board
- Advisory Board Member of the Congressional Management Foundation