Washington, DC - Staff - Paralegal (Secondment in Abu Dhabi)
Click Here to Apply
Assigned Attorney(s), Regulatory Practice Manager
Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Sunday-Thursday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill responsibilities
Akin Gump has an exciting “secondment” paralegal opportunity with our client at their Abu Dhabi site. This position will be trained in Washington, DC but will be required to work at the client site in Abu Dhabi for 12 months, with the possibility of extending beyond this period. While in this assignment, the paralegal will effectively function as an employee of the client, reporting to local management and performing duties as requested. This role is ideally suited for someone interested in gaining in-house and international paralegal experience, and will provide an opportunity to work on specific client cases and transactions, provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys, and gain exposure to other practice areas.
Upon completion of this secondment, the candidate will be assigned to the Washington, D.C. office as an International Trade Paralegal (or, depending on the firm’s business needs, may have an opportunity to continue working out of the firm’s UAE office). This position will fall under the general supervision of assigned attorneys and the Regulatory Practice Manager, and will follow prescribed department, office and firm procedures.
Paralegals are assigned to work primarily on specific cases/transactions, provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys, and/or to support attorneys whose practice involves specific areas of law. Paralegals are expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, while maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, Paralegals must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Draft, edit, review and assist in the preparation of legal documents and internal correspondence, for example, internal memos, service agreements, constitutional documents and NDAs.
- Assist in the organization of lawyer’s work product and materials received from outside providers and other offices within Akin Gump’s client, including use and management of internal and external databases.
- Obtain and facilitate assistance for and from outside providers and other offices within Akin Gump’s client specific to certain projects and tasks.
- Act as a liaison for Legal & Governance unit by coordinating, with certain government and regulatory agencies, banks, partners and other entities within Akin Gump’s client to achieve team deliverables.
- Act as company secretary, which includes, creation of formation and constitutional documents for Akin Gump’s client SPVs, submissions to relevant authorities, maintenance and recording of relevant documents, license registrations and renewals.
- Act as company investment committee secretary, which includes meeting minutes, organization and filing of deal approvals and proper reporting to relevant leadership team.
- Anticipate and assume responsibility for different staffing needs.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Travel, as required by the Practice and/or client.
- As requested by the Practice Manager or assigned attorneys, coordinate work of other paralegals and/or project assistants or clerical team members.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Substantive knowledge of and familiarity with specific areas of law, as required
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational/Job Experience Requirements:
- BA/BS degree required
- 1-2 years of work experience required, preferably as a paralegal and preferably some experience with corporate transactional work
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility