Dallas - Staff - Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager (Texas Region)
Attorney Recruiting & Development
Director of Attorney Recruiting, Office Hiring Partner
Core Hours: 9 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill job requirements
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Attorney Recruiting and Office Hiring Partner, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the firm’s attorney recruiting and development functions in the Texas region (Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio) including lateral attorney and Summer Associate hiring, overseeing the annual Summer Associate program, collaborating with the Human Resources department on attorney new hire orientations, participating in Hiring Committee meetings, implementing firm training programs, and supervising assigned department staff. The Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Manage all aspects of the lateral attorney recruitment program, ensuring appropriate communication and coordination with candidates, firm attorneys, administrative management, and any third-party recruiters.
- Meet with Practice Group Leaders and/or their designees to determine hiring requirements for lateral attorney openings. Secure approval of openings from the Office Hiring Partner and Firmwide Hiring Partner.
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with third-party recruiters and execute standard search firm agreements.
- Prepare attorney position postings for the firm’s external website.
- Conduct due-diligence with attorney candidates (e.g., references, bar admission verifications, conflicts checks, etc.).
- Oversee fall on-campus interviewing program.
- Plan, organize and administer the Dallas Summer Associate program. Duties include participating in all events, organizing the Dallas Summer Associate orientation, planning training programs, tracking expenses, coordinating Dallas Summer Associate reviews, assisting as needed in the work assignment process, and other tasks.
- Participate in office Hiring Committee meetings and hiring recommendations.
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with top-tier law schools.
- Prepare offer letters and relevant materials.
- Participate in Associates Committee, Diversity Committee, and Women’s Committee Meetings and assist with programming, projects and initiatives.
- Prepare relevant reports and presentations.
- Prepare and monitor office recruiting and retention statistics.
- Coordinate attorney arrivals/departures with the Human Resources department.
- Participate in new hire orientation for all incoming attorneys.
- Oversee implementation of firmwide attorney development and other training programs for Texas region attorneys.
- Serve as a resource for the Texas region attorneys regarding external training opportunities and available coaching resources.
- Provide guidance regarding state bar dues, bar admissions and continuing education requirements for Texas attorneys.
- Participate in scheduled Attorney Recruiting & Development conference calls and meetings.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget in consultation with Office Hiring Partner, the Director of Attorney Recruiting, the Director of Attorney Development and the Firmwide Hiring Partner.
- Supervise assigned department employees.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook and Excel. Experience in working with attorney recruiting databases required.
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers; attorneys; office, firm and practice management; and outside business partners
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects with specific deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to use initiative and judgment to accomplish results
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to delegate and manage resources effectively
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in legal recruiting in a law firm required, with at least three years in a managerial role desired
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility