Dallas - Staff - Conference Services Coordinator
Conference Services and Event Planning
Core Hours: 8:30 – 5:00, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to email@example.com.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Office Administrator and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Conference Services Coordinator is responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of the Conference Services Department, including oversight of the Conference Center and the Reception staff. The Conference Services Coordinator is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Conference Services Coordinator must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Set priorities and manage the daily workflow for the Conference Services department, ensuring the excellent quality of work and timely completion of assignments during regular business hour and on an overtime/weekend staffing basis.
- Manage online Conference Room Scheduling system, with the assistance of the Reception Staff, to ensure proper meeting placement, making adjustments as necessary.
- Coordinate every aspect of daily meetings including filling catering requests and ensuring each meeting is serviced to firm standards.
- Maintain inventory control system.
- Ensure department is maintained in a neat, safe and orderly fashion.
- Ensure all equipment is in proper working order.
- Monitor department productivity; develop and implement procedures to optimize effectiveness; ensure that space, equipment and technology are used effectively.
- Organize and coordinate all off-site events, with the guidance of the Office Administrator, including rentals, staffing, refreshments and entertainment.
- Oversee department personnel and monitor attendance and performance issues; conduct conferences with department supervisors and assigned staff regarding such issues, as needed.
- Handle attorney, paralegal and staff inquiries and requests requiring the assistance and services of the Conference Services department.
- Resolve problems when possible and, as necessary, report problems to the Office Administrator in a timely manner.
- Serve as mentor to assigned staff and assist in staff development; implement standards of excellence and with the guidance of the Office Administrator, provide assigned staff with an understanding of future expectations and initiate changes needed to meet them.
- In conjunction with the Office Administrator, oversee department personnel and monitor attendance and performance issues; conduct conferences with staff regarding such issues.
- Monitor department productivity and make recommendations for procedures to optimize efficiency.
- Hold regular staff meetings to ensure that all team members are operating on one accord.
- Maintain a professional and courteous manner at all times, contribute to the constructive resolution of conflicts within the assigned department and between the departments and others in the firm.
- Ensure that vendor services provide cost-effective goods and services.
- Ensure all departmental forms and logs are completed accurately and thoroughly.
- Ensure that the department is maintained in a neat, safe and orderly fashion.
- Approve department timecards and leave requests.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Under the direction of the Office Administrator, evaluate current contracts and research alternative providers for goods and services; evaluate bid proposals and make recommendations on contracts.
- Coordinate and work as a team with other departments to provide necessary services to lawyers and clients.
- Evaluate assigned staff and participate in their annual performance reviews.
- Develop long-term plans and goals for the departments in cooperation with the Office Administrator.
- Participate in available professional development activities
- Provide event support on an as needed basis to the Marketing and Recruiting departments, and to the attorneys.
- Coordinate in-house events, including room scheduling, food and beverage requests, and audio-visual needs and third party equipment rentals.
- Provide coverage for the Reception desk as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive knowledge of office procedures related to conference services.
- Strong leadership skills and willingness to function as a role model within the office.
- Basic knowledge of human resources policies, practices and legal requirements.
- Excellent judgment and common sense.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions.
- Excellent record-keeping skills.
- Thorough knowledge of firm’s e-mail and document management system
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion.
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities.
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a team setting.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the department, office and firm.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with clients, vendors and others outside the firm.
- Ability to perform mathematical functions - add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages.
- Strong service orientation.
- Commitment to the office and firm.
- Commitment to professional growth.
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility