Dallas - Staff - Legal Project Analyst
Click Here to Apply
Director of Client Value
Core Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, additional hours as required
Under the supervision and direction of the Director of Client Value (the “Director”) and the Client Value Managers (the “Managers”) and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Legal Project Analyst (the “Analyst”) will support the firm’s practice groups and each group’s teams with the ultimate goal of raising the firm’s profitability and market share while helping to maintain and deliver the maximum and expected client value. The primary responsibilities of this position will include but are not limited to: (i) assisting with the development of matter management processes and capabilities across the firm; (ii) assisting with the development and implementation of the firm’s customized and standardized budgeting and matter management tools and reports to improve efficiency and scalability of operations; and (iii) helping to support the Director and the Managers in preparing and analyzing budgets, measuring performance in accordance with defined financial and business performance objectives, and assisting with corresponding strategic initiatives. The Analyst will also work closely with the Managers to help promote, implement, and track budgeting and matter management activities across the firm.
The Analyst is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Analyst must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Become familiar with project management acumen and related legal industry best practices.
- Assist with the implementation of matter management and process improvement methodologies, concepts, and processes across the firm.
- Aid in the creation of consistent project management tools, such as matter work plans, scoping aids, and budgeting templates/models, and help educate attorneys on the benefits of use.
- Working closely with the Managers and firmwide attorneys, help develop budgeting strategies that take into account firm/attorney needs and objectives, practice group/team or firm goals and key performance indicators, as well as client requirements.
- Serve as a resource for attorneys and the Client Value Team, offering credible, thoughtful analysis on client-related budgeting and reporting efforts.
- Support the Director and Managers the creation of initiatives, process improvement techniques, and other systems/tools that focus on strategic revenue growth.
- Assist in the development, design, and production of scalable ad-hoc and standardized performance reports on client/matter levels to provide additional clarity and enhance transparency (both internal and client-facing reports); leverage existing technology platforms as appropriate.
- Assist in the production of compelling charts and dashboards to clearly illustrate the financial analysis.
- Working with the Managers, proactively analyze matter financial performance along key financial data points and KPIs, focused especially on revenue generation, realization (write-off reduction), and profitability.
- Help identify and report on matter performance, and communicate project statuses, potential issues/risks, such as variances from budget.
- For identified clients/matters with existing budgets/fixed pricing arrangements, work with the Managers to review and revise budgets/pricing (if and/as needed with support from the Managers) to best meet shifting client/firm priorities or mandates.
- Coordinate with the Managers, Practice Managers and Business Development on supporting the execution of process improvement strategies by providing timely analysis that aid group efforts.
- Track, maintain, and analyze pertinent information relating to budgeting and matter management efforts and offerings across the firm, building a useful database for knowledge management purposes.
- Assist with the measurement of the positive effects of Client Value Team efforts on financial performance, both internally for the firm and externally for the client.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Support Client Value Managers and Business Development in the preparation and/or review of RFPs/business development proposals relating specifically to budgetary fee estimates and matter management and reporting capabilities.
- Assist with the review and implementation of matter management software/technology platforms and dashboards at the firm, as needed.
- Assist with training of attorneys on financial dashboards as requested.
- Work with other firm infrastructure to help ensure data integrity on client/matter level and in accordance with firm mandates socialize the importance of proper billing issues as needed to ensure consistency, accuracy and compliance with client needs and outside counsel guidelines.
- Participate in the review of Outside Counsel Guidelines for project management guidelines.
- Share relevant legal market and competitor information and analysis with the Client Value Team.
- Collaborate and work with the Managers and other infrastructure teams in the performance of special projects as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- High proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and the ability to quickly learn and utilize additional software and systems
- General understanding of the fundamental elements of legal project management
- Data-driven and/or financial analytics experience preferred
- Understanding of financial management and business drivers, and ability to think strategically and analytically (issue-spot)
- General knowledge of industry business acumen; apply sound judgment and discretion with respect to confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing (visual presentations and reports, etc)
- Strong ability to work independently and with teams, creatively and proactively
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with all levels of personnel and work collaboratively across all firm departments
- Proven organizational skills; ability to execute identified initiatives and processes in a timely manner
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two plus years in client service oriented functions, preferably with financial/project analyst background
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility