Houston - Staff - Office Services Assistant
Office Services Coordinator
Office Services Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Core hours: 11:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Available to work during all hours of operation and additional hours as required to provide quality service
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the direct supervision of the Office Services Coordinator and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Office Services Assistant is responsible for processing all incoming and outgoing U.S. Mail, UPS and other courier service deliveries; sending and receiving facsimiles; processing requests for print, copy and scanning jobs; and assisting with the set-up of conference rooms for office events, as necessary. Office Services Assistants are expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Office Services Assistant must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Sort, prepare and distribute promptly all incoming U.S. Mail, UPS, Federal Express, DHL and other courier services envelopes and packages.
- Collect and distribute all internal and firm interoffice mail.
- Prepare all outgoing U.S. Mail, UPS and other courier service requests from all personnel, including dropping off outgoing mail where applicable.
- Prepare firm pouch deliveries to domestic and overseas offices.
- Send and receive facsimiles; confirm incoming and outgoing facsimiles for facsimile transmission information including facsimile telephone numbers, voice telephone numbers, page count, legibility, etc.
- Follow-up on facsimile transmission problems timely and effectively, including notification to sender/recipient and the Office Services Coordinator, when necessary.
- Maintain all mailroom equipment; ensure machines are in proper working order and stocked with necessary supplies; report machine malfunctions and failures to the Office Services Coordinator.
- Log daily postage usage and postage charge-backs to client matter numbers and personal accounts.
- Perform daily maintenance activities to ensure that the work area is neat, safe and orderly.
- Assist attorneys and staff with mailing and shipping queries.
- Assist attorneys and staff with ordering and securing requested office products and supplies.
- Reproduce and finish (including collating, stapling, hole punching/drilling, binding) documents, articles, books, maps and blueprints, using copy machines, binding machines and other appropriate equipment.
- Proof completed work for accuracy and thoroughness, paying close attention to instructions and detail.
- Be observant of, and report housekeeping issues related to lights out, stains on floors or carpets, and damage to walls, doors, desks, etc.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Monitor and maintain inventory of supplies for U.S. Mail, UPS and other courier companies and report necessary orders to the Office Services Coordinator.
- Monitor and maintain facsimile machine supplies.
- Set up conference rooms for office functions.
- Track missing packages, as necessary.
- Pack/Unpack file boxes as needed.
- Assist with office relocations – move office items; pack/unpack office.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. Postal and courier services’ deadlines, rules and regulations
- Proficiency operating office equipment used on a regular basis, including postal and courier meters and software, scales and telephones
- Extensive knowledge of facsimile machine operation, including machine maintenance
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Thorough knowledge of firm’s e-mail and document management systems
- Familiarity with domestic and international calling codes
- Ability to input data into computerized shipping systems
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform clerical tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a fast-paced team setting
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the department, office and firm
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with vendors and others outside the firm
- Ability to perform mathematical functions - add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages
- Excellent record-keeping skills
- Legible handwriting
- Strong service orientation
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year experience as an office clerk, preferably with mail room experience
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility