Los Angeles – Century City - Staff - Senior Billing Specialist
Los Angeles – Century City
Billing & Collections Manager
Core Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the direct supervision of the Billing & Collections Manager, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Senior Billing Specialist is responsible for preparing monthly bills including for more complex/difficult client billing, maintaining billing filing system, working with Collections staff to collect aged accounts receivables, monitoring the e-billing process, and ensuring that special billing arrangements are carried out. The Senior Billing Specialist is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Senior Billing Specialist must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Prepare monthly prebills for distribution to attorneys, including for more complex/difficult client bills.
- Monitor office monthly billable WIP and report status to management.
- Communicate with attorneys and secretaries to address any billing questions or report requests.
- Edit, prepare and finalize monthly prebills.
- Work with Collections staff to collect aged accounts receivables.
- Train new Billing & Collections personnel.
- Monitor the e-billing process for those clients that are electronically billed to ensure that invoices are successfully submitted.
- Verify daily new business memo and ensure correct input of information and special billing arrangements for assigned clients.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Maintain billing filing system on a monthly basis.
- Serve as a resource for Billing Specialists and Assistants to answer questions and provide advice.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with partners, senior management and clients.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
- Identify issues and problems with assignments
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects with specific deadlines; strong attention to detail
- Ability to deal with stress around deadlines
- Ability to work extended hours as necessary to fulfill time sensitive responsibilities
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Two year degree required, or four year degree preferred, with specialization in accounting or finance preferred
- 3+ years law firm billing experience required
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility