Los Angeles - San Francisco - Staff - Research Specialist
Los Angeles or San Francisco
Research & Information Services
Research Services Manager
Core Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., M-F, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under general supervision of the Research Services Manager and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Research Specialist is responsible for responding to user requests for all types of assistance. The Research Specialist is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Research Specialist must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Perform reference and research duties, including responding to user requests for information from internal and external resources, onsite and offsite materials, and print and non-print media; supports research needs of attorneys, paralegals, and marketing , particularly for the firm’s Environmental, Financial Restructuring, IP, and Real Estate practices.
- Perform online searches using such external databases as Westlaw, LexisAdvance, Docket Navigator, Lex Machina, DebtWire, Bloomberg among others.
- Analyze internal and external data sources for use in the firm’s business intelligence efforts.
- Coordinate interlibrary loans, including responding to incoming requests from other firms.
- Perform electronic current awareness monitoring, analyzing the results and providing appropriate information to attorneys.
- Coordinate with assigned practice groups and departmental staff in the recommendation and consolidation of practice group’s resources, including both recommendations for purchase and cancellation.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Handle requests from management, and attorneys from other firm offices, both domestically and internationally.
- Provide back-up coverage in the event of other department staff member absences.
- Schedule and follow-up on online database training for attorneys, paralegals and others, including initial skills assessment.
- Maintain awareness of current legal and business research materials, techniques and resources; build research skills in new areas of the law.
- Assist in resolving technical problems and issues, as appropriate.
- Handle administrative and other projects as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Substantive reference and research skills including familiarity with the wide range of legal and business materials found in a various practices
- Substantive understanding of legal literature, its organization and availability in a multitude of formats
- Familiarity with standard business print and online resources
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and their licensing methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint and Word, and document management systems
- Proficiency on office equipment used on a regular basis including computers, printers, copy machines, facsimile machines and telephones
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform mathematical functions - add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a team setting
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the department, office and firm
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with clients, vendors and others outside the firm
- Strong service orientation
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth
Educational/Job Experience Requirements:
- Master of Library Science degree required; J.D. from accredited institution a plus
- Minimum of 2 years law firm library experience
- See, hear and speak
- Duties performed may be in aisles, open areas and compact rooms
- Duties are performed using repetitive finger, hand and arm movements
- Duties require fine manipulation (typing)
- Duties require simple grasping (books, files, documents, telephone, writing instruments)
- Duties may require combinations of the above movements
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility