New York or Washington, DC - Staff - Attorney Career Counselor
Click Here to Apply
New York or Washington, DC
Attorney Recruiting & Development
Core Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill job requirements
The Attorney Career Counselor is responsible for providing career counseling, coaching and advocacy to attorneys in all phases of their careers, including career development and management, leadership, business development, time and project management, work/life balance, advancement, and transitions to/from leaves.
The Attorney Career Counselor is expected to serve as a positive role model, advisor, and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the Firm’s attorneys, managing the balance of protecting individual confidences while protecting the firm’s interests. Above all, the Attorney Career Counselor must fulfill the needs of the Firm in a manner which is consistent with the Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Provide bespoke, confidential advice and guidance to attorneys at varying levels of seniority on all aspects of career growth and development, including career planning and management, leadership and business development, time and project management, work/life balance, transitions to/from leaves and potential next steps in their professional careers, both within and outside of the Firm.
- Create and maintain relationships within the Firm at all levels, establishing a reputation as a trusted advisor for career advice and guidance.
- Develop and manage a firm-wide career development counseling program for attorneys.
- Partner with Attorney Recruiting & Development, Diversity & Inclusion, Alumni Relations and firm leaders on career development programs and resources.
- Partner with senior Human Resources leadership and the General Counsel’s office as necessary on sensitive employee matters.
- Partner with practice leadership, follow up after annual evaluation processes to identify opportunities and resources for individual and group coaching.
- Partner with Alumni Relations, provide networking, job search and other career guidance to alumni of the Firm.
- As appropriate, partner with third-party providers to provide specific skills-development, coaching and programming for attorneys.
- Track, report and present as requested to firm leaders on program metrics, trends, offerings and successes to Firm stakeholders and leadership
- Other related tasks as required and assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers; attorneys; office, firm and practice management; and outside business partners
- Understanding of professional responsibility, risk mitigation and ethical issues
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated judgment, discretion and tact
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability and willingness to travel to other firm offices
- Ability to use assessments and critiques to improve performance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Commitment to firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, JD or counseling degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in a law firm, professional services organization, or institution of higher education required
- Career and/or executive level coaching experienced required. Advanced coaching certifications strongly preferred
- Certification to administer and analyze -assessments such as MBTI desired
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility