New York - Staff - Attorney Recruiting & Development Intern (Summer 2018)
Attorney Recruiting & Development
Senior Manager, Attorney Recruiting & Diversity
Core Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, Additional hours as needed
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Manager, Attorney Recruiting & Diversity, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Attorney Recruiting & Development Intern is responsible for providing day-to-day administrative support and assistance to the Attorney Recruiting & Development Department. The Attorney Recruiting & Development Intern is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Attorney Recruiting & Development Intern must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Assist Attorney Recruiting & Development department managing and sorting department mail and answering department phones as needed.
- Compile and maintain candidate data charts and files for on-campus and in-office interviews.
- Prepare on-campus give-away boxes and manage distribution.
- Assist with preparation of on-campus interview binders.
- Conduct research on market data.
- File resumes, letters and other recruiting materials as needed, and create and maintain departmental files.
- Assist with all aspects of the New York summer program as well as various attorney training, diversity and orientation programs.
- Assist with preparation of materials, copying of documents, and tracking attendance for summer program, diversity and attorney development programs and events as needed.
- Assist with scheduling and preparing conference and meeting rooms for department events.
- Prepare materials and assist with special projects for various office committees.
- Assist with miscellaneous projects as needed.
- Assist with firmwide initiatives as needed.
- Additional tasks and projects as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with database applications
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to communicate with attorneys and staff in an effective manner
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, office and firm management, vendors, and law school personnel
- Ability to work well under pressure, motivate self, facilitate creative solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client, office and department information, and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
- Ability to work extended hours, especially during recruiting peak seasons
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Enrolled in accredited university or college
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility