New York - Staff - Diversity and Inclusion Manager
Click Here to Apply
Diversity and Inclusion (Firmwide)
Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer
Core Hours: 9 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill job requirements
Under the general supervision and direction of the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Diversity and Inclusion Manager is responsible for supporting the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives including the firmwide and local diversity committees, responses to surveys and requests for information, marketing materials, and sponsorships.
The Diversity and Inclusion Manager is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Diversity and Inclusion Manager must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Coordinate and implement administrative tasks and duties related to internal and external diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Apprise Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer of current diversity and inclusion issues and potential problems as they develop, seeking advice and guidance as needed.
- Participate in firmwide and office Diversity Committee meetings and prepare agendas and summaries for circulation; prepare meeting correspondence and reports, working with all firm constituents and stakeholders, including attorneys and department leadership throughout the firm.
- Prepare initial drafts for Chief’s review and approval of diversity-related communications, reports and surveys requiring quantitative and qualitative research, analysis and evaluation, ensuring grammatical and stylistic accuracy, conformance with established procedures, and unfailing accuracy. Examples include the firm diversity profile, internal announcements, presentations, correspondence letters, etc.
- Assist with the collection and preparation of diversity-related statistical information for firmwide reports, RFPs, committee meetings, and other requests, as needed, liaising with the Human Resources department on necessary data and historical materials.
- Update and maintain the firm’s internal Diversity & Inclusion portal page and diversity-related content on the external Akin Gump website.
- Coordinate with other firm departments and offices on diversity-related initiatives including sponsorships of job fairs, attendance at diversity & inclusion events, benchmarking assessments, surveys, and competitive and marketplace research on diversity trends.
- Attend meetings as requested to provide information and serve as a point of contact/resource for diversity & inclusion initiatives.
- Provide logistical support to the various local office diversity committees (e.g., invitations, meeting agendas, preparation of handout materials, event follow-up, etc.).
- Serve as liaison with internal and external parties on matters related to the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives (e.g., answer questions concerning activities and transmit instructions and or information to and from members of the Diversity Committees).
- Work closely with the stakeholders on the planning and coordination of internal and external workshops, programs and meetings, including but not limited to the site/catering/audio-visual reservations, marketing and promotion of offerings such as trainings, workshops, and special events.
- Track, monitor and maintain accurate accounts of all expenses and balances to support adherence to the diversity program budget.
- Other related tasks as required and assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Very strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience in working with attorney recruiting databases required
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers; attorneys; office, firm and practice management; and outside business partners
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects with specific deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment to accomplish results
- Demonstrated judgment, discretion and tact
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to delegate and manage resources effectively
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Unfailing attention to detail
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of two years related experience in a law firm, government agency, or professional services organization desired
- Marketing and communications experience
- Experience synthesizing data and human capital demographics
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility