New York - Staff - Legal Secretary (Corporate)
Assigned Attorney(s), Secretarial Manager
Core Hours: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., M-F, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under general supervision and direction of assigned attorney(s) and the Secretarial Manager, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, Legal Secretaries are responsible for providing secretarial and administrative support to attorneys, advisors and other administrative personnel as assigned. Legal Secretaries are expected to perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients, producing quality work products, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, Legal Secretaries must fulfill the needs of the office in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Type and edit on the computer system legal and other documents (including correspondence, memoranda, bills, timesheets and project work) from transcription tapes, handwritten or typed materials, or shorthand notes.
- Perform secretarial functions associated with firm administrative tasks, including processing new client/matter requests, client bills, and time reports.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, securing air and ground transportation and hotel accommodations.
- Handle expense reports.
- Copy, distribute, send (electronically and/or via mail, courier or express service), file and otherwise handle completed work. Use of a typewriter may be necessary for certain assignments.
- Proofread and redline work for accuracy of copy, format, grammar, punctuation and syntax.
- Receive, screen and transmit telephone calls, conference calls and messages to/from attorneys, clients and staff.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail.
- Set up and maintain files.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments.
- Coordinate work as needed with office, firm and third-party service departments, including Document Services, IS, Mail Room, Duplicating, Facilities, Conference Services, and Finance.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Provide secretarial assistance to visitors, summer associates and attorneys whose secretaries are absent.
- Accept overflow work from other secretaries as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to type at least 70 words per minute with accuracy
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word and Outlook
- Thorough knowledge of the proper preparation of time records, expense reports, client bills and conflict-checking forms
- Shorthand or fast notes (if applicable to position)
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Thorough familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to general legal concepts and specific area(s) of assignment
- Proficiency with advanced telephone functions, including conference calling and voicemail
- Excellent telephone manner
- Familiarity with legal filing and record-keeping practices
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to perform clerical tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Proficiency on office equipment used on a regular basis including computers, printers, copy machines, facsimile machines, telephones and transcription machines
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the office and firm, and with clients, vendors and others outside the firm
- Ability to perform mathematical functions - add, subtract, multiply, divide, work with percentages, etc.
- Strong service orientation
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information, and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth
Educational/Job Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior secretarial experience supporting partner level attorneys required, Corporate experience preferred
- Specialized secretarial degree, associate and/or bachelor's degree desirable but not required
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility