New York - Staff - Paralegal (Entry-Level)
Assigned Attorney(s), Director of Practice Management
Core Hours: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., M-F, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill responsibilities
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under general supervision of assigned attorneys, the Practice Managers (or designees), and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, Paralegals are assigned to work primarily on specific transactions, provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys and/or to support attorneys whose practice involves specific areas of law. Paralegals may also monitor regulations, legal developments and compliance procedures in their area of expertise. In addition, Paralegals may be asked to provide general supervision of Project Assistants and other clerical staff. Paralegals are expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, Paralegals must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's visions and values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Conduct statutory, regulatory or factual research with respect to client matters. Such research might include investigation of federal or state laws and regulations, relevant markets, corporate participants and industry standards and practices.
- Participate in due diligence and other reviews of client records and files.
- Assist with organization of client materials and attorney work product, including use of databases, imaging systems and other computer-based technology.
- Maintain transaction files and other project records; circulate materials to project team, as needed.
- Prepare binders of completed transactions.
- Arrange filings, mailings and service deliveries with appropriate service providers, government agencies and other parties.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, draft, edit, proofread, conform and otherwise assist in the preparation of legal documents.
- Obtain services from outside contractors, including research services, filing services and printers. Process billing and disbursement paperwork in connection with those services.
- Understand UCC and perfection issues, order lien searches, review and summarize search results and prepare and file UCCs in different jurisdictions
- Act as liaison for the project team with support departments and other offices of the firm, anticipating and assuming responsibility for special staffing needs, such as overtime, clerical and/or notary assistance.
Other Essential Duties: (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Travel, as required by the Practice and/or client.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Familiarity with specific areas of law, as required
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management and outside business partners
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational / Job Experience Requirements:
- BA/BS degree required
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal certification desirable but not required
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility