Washington, D.C. - Staff - Data Architect
Information Technology (Firmwide)
Database Engineering Manager
Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill responsibilities
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to email@example.com.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Database Engineering Manager and Director of IT Solutions, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the data architect is responsible for the overall enterprise data architecture, master data management, ETL flow, data warehousing, business analytics & intelligence, data sovereignty with respect to regulatory and compliance needs and data security. The data architect is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the data architect must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Master Data Management, Data warehousing – Create and manage a master set of firm’s data. Apply Data Quality Services (DQS) to match, merge and dedupe to improve data accuracy.
- Data flow evaluation and high-level proficiency is building ETL packages using SSIS to facilitate data integration among various systems
- Create and execute insightful BI dashboards and key performance indicators using advanced data analytical platforms (PowerBI)
- A thorough understanding of SQL Server Analysis Services – Multidimensional datasets and Multidimensional Expressions to query such datasets
- Expertise in building advanced reporting using SSRS
- Work with DBAs to enforce server and data security (authentication, authorization, user-schema separation, role management, data encryption etc.)
- Subject Matter Expertise in SQL server clustering, advanced backup and restore operations for high availability
- Play a key role and define measures and constraints to enforce regulatory and compliance needs (GDPR, ITAR, HIPAA)
- Database Objects Development
- Consult with business representatives and work with IT Business Analysts to ensure understanding of the business requirements and future strategic direction of the business/function
- Recommend design specifications and standards for semantic layers and multidimensional models for BI projects, across all environments
- Communicate status and key business information effectively to both management and internal customers.
- Serve as 3rd level help desk support for areas of technology assigned.
- Assist in providing analysis of off-the-shelf products as part of buy vs. build decisions.
- Assess new technologies and recommend their adoption and implementation for use by the database team
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Required technical knowledge and expertise:
- SQL Server
- Database Objects Development (Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers etc.)
- SSIS, SSRS
- Power BI or similar
- Knowledge on web-based development technology (e.g. HTML, DHTML, VB script, Jscript, Asp 3.0, InterDev) and XML Web Services (XML,SOAP,XSL,XSD,WSDL,DTD) a major plus; and
- Medium to high-level expertise on web services for data integration a plus.
- Familiarity with NoSQL is a plus
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and expertise in the following:
- Competent in current Microsoft operating systems
- Windows Configuration, Analysis and Engineering
- Network Connectivity and Analysis
- Software Configuration, Analysis and Implementation
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Demonstrated understanding of software development life cycle process
- Demonstrated understanding of project management best practices and ability to create and use project plans to manage workload
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Proven ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Proven ability to maintain and update technical knowledge and skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Ability to develop techniques, standards and assist in the establishment of procedures for the firm’s Applications Development Team
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information on the network
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including communicating with diplomacy, discretion and tact
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, management and outside business partners
- Commitment to teamwork
- Strong analytical, creative problem solving and process improvement skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Availability for occasional travel
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development, including to attain and maintain expert competency in assigned areas of technology
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required (Computer Science or equivalent preferred) - Candidates with equivalent working experience may be considered.
- A minimum of eight years of experience in a senior DBA/Architect role
- Prior experience in a law firm or other professional services firm preferred
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility