Washington, DC - Staff - Payroll Coordinator
Click Here to Apply
Human Resources (Firmwide)
Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, additional hours necessary around payroll deadlines
Under the supervision of the Payroll Manager, with guidance and oversight from the Payroll Coordinator, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Payroll Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the data entry, preparation, processing, validation and reconciliation of payrolls and time and attendance for the firm’s U.S. offices. The Payroll Coordinator is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Payroll Coordinator must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every payroll cycle, as necessary):
- Administration and oversight of time and attendance application.
- Prepare and run reports in the time and attendance application, following up with local HR departments, supervisors and employees as necessary to administer the firm’s leave programs and ensure complete and accurate compliance with same.
- Enter hourly attorneys’ timecards in the time and attendance application on a semi-monthly basis.
- Assist in processing, validating and distributing the staff and partner payrolls.
- Enter payroll and HR data into the firm’s Lawson HRIS, including various HR, benefits, transportation and tax-related elections and deductions.
- Assist in coordinating tax filings.
- Assist with the resolution of payroll and personal expense account issues.
- Enter new hires, terminations, status and other changes into the firm’s on-line time and attendance application; troubleshoot and research issues and problems; and adjust and correct records as necessary.
- Enter California attorneys’ leave use in the time and attendance application on a monthly basis.
- Process garnishments and request Accounts Payable checks.
- Monitor Time and Attendance email box and answer questions and address issues, with guidance from and oversight of Payroll Coordinator.
- Monitor Payroll email box and answer questions and address issues, with guidance from and oversight of Payroll Manager and Payroll Coordinator.
- Process Accounts Payable check requests for payroll-deducted contributions such as United Way and political action committee.
- Create and coordinate all payroll items processed through Accounts Payable (e.g., non-employee stipends and other payments).
- Prepare various letters/memos/forms as needed.
- Maintain payroll tracking spreadsheets and back-up files—semi-monthly, monthly and annual.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Answer questions and assist personnel with tax and other payment modeling and estimates through the Lawson HRIS self-service module
- Prepare administrative analyses and reports and related functions.
- Assist with other HR departmental responsibilities as requested.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Outlook
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
- Identify issues and problems with assignments
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects with specific deadlines; strong attention to detail
- Ability to deal with stress around deadlines
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of all information, and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- College degree, with specialization in accounting or finance, preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Previous experience with automated payroll/HRIS systems, including Lawson HRIS, preferred
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility