Washington, DC - Staff - Records Specialist
Records and Information Governance (RIG)
RIG Operations Manager
Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., M-F, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
For consideration please email your resume and cover letter, indicating the job title and location in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the direct supervision of the RIG Operations Manager and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Records Specialist is responsible for file maintenance for the client and business files of the firm. The Records Specialists is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s clients, attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Records Specialist must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Perform daily maintenance of files in the firmwide records management database (IRM) and document management database (Filesite).
- Onsite file maintenance including but not limited to opening new files; filing material; preparing folders and inserts; organizing files; closing files and re-shelving files and cartons.
- Offsite file maintenance including but not limited to preparation and sending new materials; identification, filing, retrieval and return of files and cartons previously sent.
Other Essential Duties (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Perform special records projects, involving direct contact with attorneys, paralegals, secretaries and other staff.
- Shifting of files.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Familiarity with the wide range of legal documents found in a varied legal practice
- Knowledge of alpha and numeric filing systems
- Thorough knowledge of departmental procedures including folder set-up, inserts and interfiling, cross references and indexing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Proficiency on office equipment used on a regular basis including computers, printers, copy machines, facsimile machines and telephones
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform clerical tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a team setting
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the department, office and firm
- Strong service orientation with pleasant and helpful demeanor
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
Educational/Job Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Some college preferred
- Minimum of 1 year of related legal records experience
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility