Washington, DC - Staff - Training and Development Manager, Business Services
Click Here to Apply
Director of Talent Management, Business Services
9:00-5:30, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
Under the general supervision of the Director of Talent Management, Business Services and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Training and Development Manager, Business Services is responsible for collaborating with the HR Business Partner team and firm stakeholders to identify, develop and implement practical learning and development solutions for the Business Services teams. The Training and Development Manager, Business Services will evaluate organizational, team and individual needs to help build and execute the learning strategy that will continually strengthen and sustain organizational performance. This position is a hands-on working manager role, with responsibility to help form and evolve the staff development function and its services.
The Training and Development Manager, Business Services is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, through efficient and effective departmental operations and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement.
Above all, the Training and Development Manager, Business Services must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Partner with HR Managers, stakeholders and firm senior leadership to assess training needs and requirements.
- Develop strategic, responsive, cost effective training and professional development programs that build and enhance skillsets for populations located in multiple office locations.
- Serve as program manager for management and talent development programs.
- Facilitate in-person and online workshops and discovery sessions. Ensure the design and facilitation delivered by internal and external training partners meets expected levels performance.
- Develop and implement resources that support the Firm’s professional development needs and goals for Business Services.
- Manage and enhance the Learning Management Systems in partnership with internal IT partners.
- Identify, manage and enhance performance of external partners who provide training, resources and/or content.
- Plan and execute training related projects, such as process improvements, cost analysis, and measurements of effectiveness.
- Lead continuous improvement in the onboarding and integration team to ensure an engaging effective and successful onboarding process for all who are new to the firm.
- Manage and monitor annual budgeting process for Business Services Learning and Development function, ensuring cost-effectiveness of programming against budget.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read write and speak English
- Demonstrated knowledge of learning discovery and content design that successfully utilizes diverse modalities to enhance effectiveness of individuals and teams
- Demonstrated facilitation skills: understands and effectively manages the different aspects of training and facilitation to meet audience needs
- Engaged in utilizing timely updates in human performance theory while remaining focused on application of relevant, effective tools and resources that meet tactical and strategic organizational needs.
- Ability to positively balance theory and modeling with current state reality and effective execution
- Superior interpersonal skills, including strong oral and written communication skills; ability to assess and communicate detailed and complex information effectively to others
- Ability to establish and build credibility as a knowledgeable and trusted HR advisor and function as a trustworthy role model within the firm. Client service oriented
- Ability to work within a team and matrix partner environment
- Demonstrated effectiveness of successfully implementing new strategies, processes and programs that incorporate and respect existing history, process, success and culture
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in a manner which meets milestones, deadlines and goals for assigned projects (Use of Lean/Six Sigma and/or Agile preferred)
- Available to travel as necessary
- Demonstrated knowledge of learning management systems, HRIS (Lawson preferred) etc.
- Demonstrated application of online authoring tools such as Captivate, Articulate etc.
- Unfailing commitment to confidentiality of firm, department and employee information, discretion and adherence to the firms’ Core Values
Educational Qualifications/Job Experience Requirements:
- 4 year college degree
- Human Resource professional certification preferred (SHRM, ATD, HCI etc.)
- Minimum 6 years of relevant Learning and Development experience, preferably in a law firm or professional services organization
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility