In an environment of rapidly changing health care regulations, Akin Gump helps health care companies and their investors chart a path forward. Our integrated health care transactions team represents many of the leading health care providers, manufacturers and investors in complex mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, financings and restructurings.
Of late, our team has advised on a series of high-profile transactions stemming from consolidation trends and increased private equity investment in the for-profit and not-for-profit provider markets.
We also have extensive experience with regard to royalty monetization transactions involving the purchase and sale of, or financing backed by, interests in royalty and synthetic streams relating to life sciences and pharmaceutical products.
We advise with respect to:
- mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and divestitures
- financing structures
- real estate structuring, including sale/leaseback arrangements and Real Estate Investment Trust and umbrella partnership real estate investment trust structures
- royalty monetization transactions, royalty fund formations and IPOs
- clinical affiliation agreements
- not-for-profit tax status considerations, including maintenance of existing status, conversion to not-for-profit status and issues specific to faith-based providers
- tax structuring
- due diligence
- regulatory compliance.
Our transactional lawyers work seamlessly with our market-leading health care regulatory team to execute transactions that meet our clients’ business objectives and mitigate their transactional risk. Our team includes lawyers and advisors with decades of experience in regulatory compliance related to Medicare and Medicaid payment and coverage issues, health privacy, fraud and abuse issues, and tax and antitrust considerations specific to the health care industry. Clients also benefit from our policy team— the largest in Washington—which helps health care participants proactively manage risk and seize opportunities triggered by changing legislation and policy.