Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP provides substantial general corporate and transactional services to its health industry clients. Our health industry regulatory lawyers work closely with our corporate lawyers, antitrust professionals and tax practitioners, and we are adept at assembling and coordinating teams that work on an array of transactions, corporate finance and securities matters and corporate governance issues. There is no learning curve involved and no “shopping” for skill or talent is ever required.
Our health care transactions include:
- formation and operation of Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
- structuring joint ventures and affiliation agreements between and among health systems and physicians, not-for-profit institutional providers and for-profit partners and large health systems or academic medical centers and community hospitals or other providers, including Health Information Exchanges (HIEs)
- leveraged and management buyouts of health care companies
- acquisitions of pharmaceutical intellectual property and other revenue streams
- asset sales and recapitalizations of distressed health care companies, including in the chapter 11 context
- initial public offerings, private placements and other securities offerings on behalf of various health industry clients
- formation and operation of primary health organizations (PHOs), managed services organizations (MSOs), individual practice associations (IPAs) and related managed care products and arrangements
- formation of hospital networks and other joint ventures for the purpose of operating and marketing health maintenance organizations (HMOs), preferred provider organizations (PPOs) and other managed care entities
- sales and acquisitions of hospitals and other institutional providers, including the representation of financial institutions in connection with such transactions
- negotiating, preparing and evaluating managed care contracts and related documents, including insurance contracts, administration agreements, hospital service agreements, HMO contracts, preferred provider agreements and other managed care agreements
- representations of medical technologies in acquisitions, investment agreements and customer contracts.
Akin Gump regularly leads complex and sophisticated transactions, crossing borders and industries—including for heavily regulated industries. The firm has decades of experience representing companies, investors and individuals in mergers, acquisitions and dispositions. Further, our team has played a key role in a number of cutting edge business combinations, including complex joint ventures and strategic alliances, teaming agreements and other arrangements. Our approach in forming an alliance is not only to address the legal, regulatory and business requirements at hand, but to establish a framework for collaboration and long-term success among business partners.
In addition, we routinely counsel companies as they access the capital markets and other financing sources. We advise across the full range of public and private debt and equity transactions. Our finance team helps corporate borrowers with respect to loan and credit agreements of all types and sizes, bridge loans, credit enhancement, liquidity facilities and bond insurance, and securitizations and asset-based lending facilities.