Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading advisor to U.S. and international clients operating or investing in the national security arena. We regularly represent companies, sovereign governments, investors and boards of directors on strategic issues; transactional and government contracts matters; litigation and arbitration matters; compliance with national security laws and regulations, particularly new and evolving regulations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other agencies; and matters before U.S. and international government agencies and other bodies. This insider’s familiarity with numerous government agencies and personnel has bolstered a particular concentration in government procurement, principally in the defense area, guiding companies through the detailed procedures for selling goods and services to the government. We also serve public-sector clients—such as municipalities with military bases—in obtaining the authorization and funding to further their objectives.
Our national security practice is anchored in Washington, D.C., and supported by an experienced team of professionals in Beijing, Dallas, Fort Worth, Geneva, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Moscow, New York and the United Arab Emirates. Our team is present and active in significant centers of global industry and related regulatory activity, affording our clients the benefits of national security awareness, network reach and professional service coverage.
Integrated and Cross-Disciplinary Services
As a global, integrated, full-service law firm, Akin Gump has capabilities extending across all traditional legal disciplines, including extensive international regulatory, public policy and government relations experience. In light of the highly regulated nature of national security, we believe this full complement of legal and policy advocacy capabilities is a source of competitive advantage for our clients. In addition, we have significant experience in related industry sectors including aerospace and defense, energy, food safety and transportation. Our capabilities specifically include:
- antibribery and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), antitrust and private equity investments
- government contracts
- international trade regulation and compliance
- customs and border protection
- international policy
- export controls and economic sanctions
- food safety and bioterrorism
- intellectual property
- international arbitration
- military base enhancement
- money laundering and law enforcement
- national security policy.
We work with our clients as a single team, with a focus on delivering technically superlative, practical and timely results. Our aim is to provide clients with an integrated and comprehensive set of legal and advocacy capabilities that are tailored for each engagement.
Multiple, Complementary Perspectives
Akin Gump’s national security team comprises legal and lobbying professionals with prominent backgrounds in the private sector, the military and the legislative and executive branches of government. Many members of our team have Top Secret security clearances to handle even the highest-level transactions.
Our services are informed by the combined private sector and senior government experience of our practitioners. In addition to our private sector experience, our national security team includes:
- former Members of Congress who served on the House Appropriations, House Armed Services and Senate Foreign Relations committees
- a former chair of the U.S. President’s Federal Intelligence Advisory Board
- a former Chief of Staff, U.S. Secretary of Defense
- a former Special Counsel, Office of the Secretary of Defense
- a former Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan (SRAP) and Deputy Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asia, U.S. Department of State
- a former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- a former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Intelligence and Research, U.S. Department of State
- a former Director, Russia, Ukraine, and Eurasia, U.S. National Security Council
- a former Director for Multilateral and Humanitarian Affairs, U.S. National Security Council
- a former counsel and communications advisor, U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee
- a former Director of Policy and Planning, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency.
Our practice also includes several lawyers who have served in an in-house capacity through secondments to global aerospace and defense companies.