Akin Gump brings decades of experience advising on complex real estate finance, acquisition, disposition, development and workout matters around the world. With one of the leading investment funds practices of a global law firm, our team has niche experience representing all manner of real estate funds and their affiliates. Our clients include many of the world’s most prominent investment funds, individual investors, and pension funds and their advisors as well as REITs, REMICs, commercial and industrial developers, hospitals, governmental agencies, institutional lenders and other investors.
Our experience includes office, retail, industrial, hospitality, senior living, health care, educational, datacenter, gaming and lodging, multi-use and multi-family residential properties.
We routinely advise on:
- representation of lenders and borrowers in acquisition, development and construction financing in local and in multi-jurisdictional transactions
- structured finance, including mortgage-backed securities and collateralized debt and mortgage obligations
- project and infrastructure finance
- formation and ongoing representation of REITs
- acquisitions, dispositions and development of office, retail, hospital, medical, senior living, industrial, hospitality and technology facilities
- formation of joint ventures, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies and real estate investment trusts
- the acquisition and disposition of loan and real estate portfolios, including distressed and non-performing loans
- representation of real estate investment funds and real estate investment trusts in the operations and management of a wide range of real estate based investments
- leveraged lease and sale/leaseback transactions
- Real Estate Workout and Foreclosure
- borrowers and lenders in debt restructurings, including multiloan, multiproperty and multilender restructurings, both in and out of bankruptcy
- borrowers, lenders and special servicers in debt restructurings of commercial loans in securitized transactions
- borrowers, lenders and special servicers in real estate foreclosures, receiverships and other loan enforcement proceedings.
- acquisitions and dispositions, construction and development, redevelopments, financings and restructurings, operations, and ground and operating leases of hotels and other hospitality assets around the world
- management and franchise agreements
- representation of real estate investors and developers in their leasing activities
- representation of tenants in the negotiation of lease agreements for office, retail, medical, industrial and other facilities
Akin Gump provides integrated real estate counsel, which addresses tax, construction, environmental and regulatory considerations.