Lawyers in the environment and natural resources practice help hospitals, health care facilities, and pharmaceutical product and device manufacturers manage the environmental risks and liabilities inherent in their operations. Our environmental team is experienced at working with clients to develop comprehensive environmental compliance strategies and training materials that build compliance and risk prevention into daily operations. We help clients develop and implement self-audit and reporting policies that provide early detection of potential compliance issues and encourage cost-effective responses. Where needed, our litigators advise and defend health care clients faced with requests for information, inspections or regulatory enforcement actions to minimize disruptions, cost and reputational threats. We advise healthcare industry chemical and device manufacturers on regulatory requirements and restrictions governing product testing, review, and marketing claims. From a transactional perspective, our environmental team helps health care clients identify and assess material environmental issues at their facilities, and develop corporate and contractual strategies for limiting legal liability and business risks during asset and stock transactions.
Representative engagements include:
- advising a prominent medical center in responding to a federal enforcement inquiry under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
- representing health care product and device manufacturers regarding federal requirements and restrictions governing treated article and public health antimicrobial efficacy claims under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act
- negotiating a favorable settlement of offsite Superfund liability for a hospital identified as a potentially responsible party under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act
- negotiating environmental compliance obligations for a health care provider exiting a facility at the end of its lease
- negotiating compliance, site access, disclosure and remediation obligations associated with the sale of medical facility assets.