The acquisition and disposition of renewable energy, energy, transportation, construction and infrastructure projects can involve myriad issues related to real estate, land use, entitlements, environmental issues and financing.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s attorneys have closed billions of dollars of energy acquisitions and dispositions, including operating projects as well as projects in all states of development. We draw upon the firm’s industry-leading attorneys in the areas of energy, private equity funds, mergers and acquisitions, tax and other practices to offer seamless counsel through these complicated matters.
Our recent experience includes:
- representation of a developer in the acquisition of a portfolio of wind farm projects in Illinois with a potential capacity of 787 MW
- representation of a sponsor in the approximately $1.4 billion sale of a portfolio of renewable energy projects to a private equity investor
- representation of a bank consortium in the acquisition, development and financing of the $360 million White Creek Wind power generating facility in Washington state, the first municipal-financed and tax equity-financed, prepaid power purchase agreement power facility to close in the United States
- representation of NRG Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of Solar Power Partners (SPP), a developer of distributed solar projects with over 30 MW of distributed solar projects in operation or under construction and a pipeline of over 1,300 MW of projects in development in California, Hawaii, Arizona, Connecticut, New Mexico, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and Canada
- representation of a large investor-owned utility in the acquisition of assets for the development of several wind farms in Texas and the Midwest
- representation of a purchaser in the acquisition and tax equity sale-leaseback financing of a utility-scale photovoltaic solar plant in the eastern United States
- representation of a major energy developer in connection with the acquisition and joint venture for the development of a $2 billion mine mouth, coal-fired electric generation facility
- representation of an infrastructure fund in connection with the contemplated acquisition of a U.K. wind energy company and projects under development.