Aaron M. Bartell is a member of the firm’s global project finance group.
Practice & Background
Mr. Bartell is a versatile lawyer who focuses on providing legal and commercial advice to project developers and investors regarding the development, financing, and purchase and sale of energy and infrastructure projects, with an emphasis on renewable power assets. He also advises clients on a wide range of business, legal and policy issues facing the telecommunications, media and technology industries. His diverse experience includes representing clients in equity and debt financings, public and private mergers and acquisitions and other commercial transactions, federal and state regulatory compliance and policy advocacy matters, and adversarial matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies.
Mr. Bartell’s experience includes representing:
- a major solar developer in raising several hundred million dollars of tax equity for multiple commercial and industrial portfolios and in the sale of a portfolio of residential solar projects to a large, investor-owned energy company
- a major solar developer in obtaining a revolving credit facility for the construction of commercial, industrial and utility-scale projects
- a large financial institution as tax equity investor in a portfolio of commercial, industrial and utility-scale projects
- a major solar developer in raising US$600 million of project finance for the development of solar projects and the sale of a portfolio of residential solar projects to a tax equity fund
- a solar developer in connection with the restructuring of construction and term debt for two commercial solar projects in connection with the issuance of qualified energy conservation bonds
- a wind developer in connection with the tax equity and debt financing of an approximately 156 MW wind farm
- a wind developer in connection with a construction loan and tax equity financing for a 106.5 MW wind farm
- as outside general counsel for nearly five years, a large regional cable operator, working closely with management regarding day-to-day business issues and advising the company on a wide variety of legal and policy matters, including transactions, commercial agreements, federal and state regulatory compliance, federal and state litigation and adversarial administrative proceedings
- as outside general counsel for more than three years, a nonprofit foundation founded and run by an Oscar®-winning actor and UNESCO Special Envoy for Peace and Reconciliation, working closely with management regarding a wide variety of business and legal matters, including corporate organization and governance, commercial agreements, employment, intellectual property and brand development
- a large international port operator headquartered in the Middle East with respect to Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States review of the port operator’s investment in, and operation of, a new cargo terminal at a major U.S. port
- a major foreign media company with respect to potential entry into the U.S. media market, including a contemplated acquisition of a U.S. cable network
- an international customer contact company with respect to telecommunications regulatory issues, including universal service, Voice over Internet Protocol and compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- a U.S. customer contact software platform and service provider in negotiating commercial agreements related to the provider’s selection as technology outsourcing provider for a major U.S. bank
- a telecommunications company in the proposed acquisition of a regional dark fiber network provider
- a publicly traded specialty telecommunications company in four strategic acquisitions valued at US$122 million, as well as establishing the related US$85 million secured credit facilities
- a U.S. customer contact software platform and service provider in the acquisition of a unified communications service provider headquartered in the United Kingdom.