Ackneil M. (Trey) Muldrow, III principally focuses his practice on merger and acquisition transactions and corporate governance counseling.
Practice & Background
Mr. Muldrow draws upon over 20 years of legal experience when providing legal advice to clients in complex domestic and international transactions. Mr. Muldrow’s transactional experience includes mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and control and minority investments across a variety of industry sectors. Mr. Muldrow’s clients have included a wide range of corporations, private equity and hedge funds as well as sovereign and fundless sponsors.
In addition to his transactional matters, Mr. Muldrow is frequently called upon to advise senior executives and boards of directors of private and exchange listed companies on sophisticated corporate governance matters as well as with respect to compliance with the federal securities laws.
Mr. Muldrow serves on the Firm’s Corporate Department Steering Committee and leads the New York office Diversity Committee.
Asset Manager Transactions
- a global asset manager in its acquisition and recapitalization of VSS Communication Partners IV, LP a leading mid-market private equity fund
- a global asset manager in its acquisition and recapitalization of the investment funds managed by EdgeStone Capital Partners a Canadian based mid-market private equity fund
- global private equity asset managers in the acquisition and recapitalization of private equity funds managed by Diamond Castle Holdings, a leading mid-market private equity fund
- an activist hedge fund in connection with an investment made by Dyal Capital Partners, a leading investor in world class investment managers
- a hedge fund sponsor in the sale of control of its general partner and related investment funds to Texas Pacific Group, a global asset manager
- a hedge fund sponsor in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Airdrie Partners I, L.P, a hedge fund sponsored by Fort Washington Capital Partners, L.P.
- a global private equity sponsor in a novel merger transaction and spin-out of legacy assets of Willis Stein L.P, a leading mid-market private equity fund
- a sovereign development company in its follow-on investment in The Carlyle Group, L.P., a global asset manager and the subsequent initial public offering of The Carlyle Group
- a sovereign development company in its investment in The Related Companies, a leading U.S. real estate investment fund
- a sovereign development company in its investment in The Raine Group LLC, a global merchant bank focused on digital, media & entertainment and sporting & lifestyle sectors.
- an ethanol manufacturer and distributor in its merger with Pacific Ethanol, Inc., a leading ethanol manufacturer and distributor
- a leading ethanol company (based in Iowa) in its sale of substantially all of its assets to Flint Hills Resources LLC, an affiliate of Koch Industries
- a leading ethanol company (based in Georgia) in its sale of substantially all of its assets to Flint Hills Resources LLC, an affiliate of Koch Industries
- a financial lending business development company in connection with the acquisition of Gemino HealthCare Finance LLC from management and a private equity consortium
- a financial lending business development company in connection with its acquisition of Crystal Financial LLC from management and private equity sponsors affiliated with Soros Fund Management.
- a private equity sponsor in its platform to acquire Pizza Hut franchises in South Africa, Botswana, and Nigeria
- a private equity sponsor in connection with the acquisition of IBwave Solutions, a wireless software company
- a private equity sponsor in connection with its joint acquisition of Delphon Industries LLC, a provider of materials and services to the semiconductor, medical and telecommunications industries
- the New York Yankees in connection with an investment in a joint venture with ManCity to bring a world class soccer organization to New York City
- an investment fund in a series of debt and equity investments in Virgin America, a U.S. based air carrier and the subsequent initial public offering of Virgin America
- the leading African American controlled radio station operator in a series of §363 asset sales to Entercom Communications and affiliates of The Yucaipa Companies and Fortress Investment Group
- a sovereign development company in its investment in a consortium that acquired D.E. Master Blenders, a global coffee manufacturer
- a leading cable television channel in its proposed acquisition of Fuse TV from The Madison Square Garden Company
- a leading manufacturer of recreational vehicles in the acquisition of Heartland Recreational Vehicles from affiliates of Catterton Partners, a private equity sponsor
- a leading manufacturer of recreational vehicles in its acquisition of Keystone RV Company from affiliates of Summit Partners, a private equity sponsor
- a sovereign development company in a carve-out transaction and investment in the Viceroy Hotel Group, a leading boutique hotel group
- a leading grocery store chain in its divestiture of significant grocery store assets in connection with a pending merger with Pathmark.
Mr. Muldrow serves as the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Dance Theatre of Harlem and Chairman of the Leadership Council of the New York Chapter of the United Negro College Fund. Mr. Muldrow is a member of the Board of Directors of Bright Point Health and Friends of the High Line. Mr. Muldrow serves on the New York City Bar Committee on Corporate Law.
- Fiduciary Duties of Directors and Majority Shareholders, Practicing Law Institute’s Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2017, June 2017
- Drafting and Negotiating Corporate Agreements, Practicing Law Institute’s Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2016, January 2016
- Preserving Attorney-Client Privilege in M&A Transactions, New York City Bar Association, October 2015
- Fiduciary Duties of Directors and Majority Shareholders, Practicing Law Institute’s Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2015, 2014, 2013
- Doing Good Globally: Lawyers as Pro Bono Providers and Trustees to Global Nonprofits, Lincoln Center’s CLE with Culture, May 2015
- Fiduciary Duties for Directors, National Association of Corporate Directors C-Suite to Board Seat Program, May 2014 and September 2014
- Recent Trends in Delaware Case Law, African American General Counsel Retreat, March 2014
- Private Equity Roundtable, Thomson-Reuters 2014 New York M&A and Private Equity Conference, March 2014
- Fund M&A and Restructurings: Lifecycle Issues for Private Equity and Hedge Fund Sponsors, 2014 Illiquid Financial Asset Conference, March 2014
- Case Study on M&A Process, National Association of Corporation Directors Conference, December 2013
- Trends in Asset Manager Transactions, Akin Gump Annual Private Investment Funds Conference, December 2013
Awards & Accolades
- Recommended Lawyer in M&A Middle-Market, Legal 500 US 2017
- Private Practitioner of the Year, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, 2015
- Led a transaction selected by Financial Times as one of the most innovative transactions in the Financial Times 2013 U.S. Innovative Lawyers report
- Named a Council of Urban Professionals Cup Catalyst: Change Agent in Law, 2013