Allison Miller focuses her practice on complex business transactions, with an emphasis on transactions in the restructuring context. In addition, she has extensive experience with non-distressed mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and private equity transactions.
Practice & Background
Ms. Miller has broad experience advising clients on transactions in a variety of bankruptcy and restructuring-related matters. Her practice involves all aspects of in-court and out-of-court restructurings of financially distressed companies, with a particular emphasis on representing creditor groups in structuring and negotiating distressed asset acquisitions in 363 sales, and complex debt-for-equity exchanges. In addition, Ms. Miller has significant experience advising post-restructured clients on general corporate matters, U.S. securities laws, trading issues and corporate governance.
Ms. Miller’s recent representations include:
- Advising a steering committee of first lien creditors of Walter Energy, Inc., a coal producer, in the acquisition of the assets of Walter Energy through a 363 sale and credit bid, as well as the ongoing corporate representation of the purchaser, Warrior Met Coal, on a variety of corporate and securities matters, including its 2017 initial public offering.
- Representing the first lien and second lien creditors of Total Safety, Inc., an industrial safety company, in the out-of-court exchange of their debt for equity, as well as providing general corporate advice on a post-restructured basis to the company.
- Advising a group of second lien creditors in a comprehensive restructuring transaction of Templar Energy LLC, an exploration and production company, on a consensual out-of-court basis, involving a debt-for-equity exchange and concurrent private placement of new equity.
Ms. Miller’s other restructuring representations include:
- a group of first lien creditors in the chapter 11 restructuring of Avaya, Inc.
- a group of noteholders in the chapter 11 restructuring of Magnum Hunter and, post-restructuring, corporate counsel to Reorganized Magnum Hunter (n/k/a Blue Ridge Mountain Resources, Inc.)
- the secured creditors in the out-of-court restructuring of Sequa Corporation
- a group of first lien creditors of True Religion Apparel, Inc.
- an ad hoc group of second lien creditors and DIP lenders in the chapter 11 restructuring of SunEdison Inc.
- a group of unsecured noteholders in the chapter 11 restructuring of Dex Media
- an informal group of noteholders in the restructuring of Energy Future Intermediate Holdings Corp.
- a group of noteholders of Getty Images, Inc. in an out-of-court debt exchange and new money equity issuance
- Majestic Star Casino in an out-of-court exchange offer and consent solicitation
- a group of unsecured noteholders in the pre-chapter 11 exchange offer and consent solicitation of Arch Coal, Inc.
- the official committee of unsecured creditors of Chassix Holdings, Inc.
- a steering committee of secured creditors and DIP lenders in the restructuring of Longview Power
- the official committee of unsecured creditors of Overseas Shipholding Group
- the official committee of unsecured creditors of Edison Mission Energy and, following emergence, the EME Reorganization Trust
- the official committee of unsecured creditors of Dynegy Holdings, LLC
- an ad hoc group of unsecured convertible noteholders in the restructuring of Genco Shipping & Trading Limited
- a secured lender group in the purchase of substantially all the assets of LifeCare Hospitals through a 363 sale and credit bid
- a secured lender in the purchase of substantially all the assets of Gainey Transportation through a competitive auction and 363 sale
- Ormet Corporation in the 363 sale of a portion of its assets to a third party purchaser and subsequent liquidation of the remaining assets to a secured lender
- a secured lender group in the out-of-court restructuring of YRC Worldwide, Inc.
- a secured lender in the restructuring of Ion Media
- a group of noteholders in the chapter 11 restructuring of Majestic Star Casino
- an ad hoc group of noteholders in the restructuring of Six Flags
In addition to her substantial corporate restructuring practice, Ms. Miller has advised issuers and underwriters in debt and equity offerings, and asset backed securitizations, totaling over $15 billion, and has been the lead deal attorney on various M&A transactions.
Awards & Accolades
- IFLR1000 US – Notable Practitioner in Restructuring (2019).