Bailey Pepe’s practice focuses on government and regulatory investigations, internal investigations and white-collar defense. She also handles bankruptcy and complex commercial litigation matters litigated in federal and state courts.
Practice & Background
Ms. Pepe has experience representing individuals and institutional clients in connection with criminal investigations, regulatory probes and internal investigations stemming from investigations run by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and other regulators. Ms. Pepe has also represented clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters, including corporate derivative, partnership, maritime, unfair competition and tax disputes.
Ms. Pepe is active in providing pro-bono defense services to indigent clients. She has represented individuals in numerous criminal cases litigated in the Southern District of New York, including narcotics trafficking and conspiracy matters, trademark infringement, credit card fraud, identity theft and supervised release violation matters.
Prior to joining Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, Ms. Pepe was an associate at another law firm. She also worked as a judicial extern to the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Ms. Pepe received her J.D. with high honors from the George Washington University Law School, where she was a member of the International Law in Domestic Courts Journal and a member of the mock trial and alternative dispute resolution boards. She earned her B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Richmond, where she was selected as a Phi Beta Kappa.
- represented a former executive of a public mining company in parallel DOJ/SEC Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation involving alleged bribery, accounting, and books and records violations
- represented numerous executives of a global bank in a DOJ anti-money laundering investigation related to corruption in the soccer industry
- represented an executive of a foreign paper goods manufacturer in a DOJ antitrust investigation regarding alleged price-fixing violations
- defended a member of a musical group in a trademark dispute litigated in the Southern District of New York
- represented a partnership in a federal tax dispute related to the donation of a piece of iconic Chinese artwork
- defended a corporation against qui tam and retaliatory discharge claims lodged by a former employee
- defended a public shipping company against purported derivative claims related to a merger transaction.