Carolyn H. Perez’s practice focuses on a variety of litigation matters, including complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, and government investigations.
Practice & Background
Ms. Perez has represented individual and corporate clients in state and federal court, federal administrative proceedings, and negotiations.
Prior to entering law school, Ms. Perez worked for Congressman Sander M. Levin (MI-12) in his legislative, campaign, and district offices. She also served as the Youth Director for the 12th District of Michigan Kerry Presidential Campaign, worked for Michigan State Senator Ken DeBeaussaert, and clerked for the Macomb County Corporation Counsel. Additionally, Ms. Perez interned for the Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina of the U.S. District Court, Washington, D.C. and for the D.C. Public Defender Service.
While at Miami University, Ms. Perez was honored with the President’s Distinguished Service Award and the Miami University Community Service Award.
Ms. Perez’s recent matters include representing:
- a prominent Hong Kong businessman in a defamation suit resulting in a favorable jury verdict
- a corporate executive in parallel Canadian and U.S. Department of Justice prosecutions of FCPA violations
- employees of a top bank in S.D.N.Y. criminal investigation of mortgage fraud allegations relating to sale of underperforming assets
- a large government contractor in False Claims Act investigation conducted by U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Civil Fraud Section
- a major book publisher in anti-trust litigation by DOJ, state attorney generals, and private plaintiffs related to electronic books
- a farming cooperative in its appeal of a government contract claim before the Department of Agriculture’s independent review board
- broadcast, satellite and wireless companies before the Federal Communications Commission in connection with licensing matters, transactions, enforcement actions and rulemaking proceedings
- a government contractor in an internal investigation regarding employee allegations of fraud and abuse
- an indigent client in a successful appeal of termination of his Section 8 housing benefits
- a tenant in connection with a dispute in landlord-tenant court which resulted in a favorable settlement including the forgiveness of past rental debt
- homeowners in a class action lawsuit against a security guard company for negligence, resulting in a favorable settlement
- numerous pro bono clients in successful appeals of denials of Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance benefits
- an injured war veteran in obtaining a waiver of an alleged overpayment of Social Security benefits.
Ms. Perez is involved in community, civic and charitable activities that include being a:
- volunteer for the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- volunteer for the DC Bar Pro Bono Clinic
- events committee member for Montclair Property Association
- landscaping committee member for Montclair Property Association
- mission and outreach committee member for St. Katherine Greek Orthodox Church
- supervisor of University of Maryland legal internship program.