Cheryl Lo is an associate in Akin Gump's Hong Kong office.
Practice & Background
Cheryl Lo is an associate on the litigation team in Hong Kong. She has experience advising on a broad range of both contentious and noncontentious issues involving, among other things, complex contractual disputes, regulatory inquiries and investigations, Mareva injunctions, shareholders’ disputes, enforcement and recovery proceedings, contentious bankruptcy and insolvency, and restructuring related situations.
Before joining Akin Gump in 2017, Ms. Lo worked in the Hong Kong office of a global law firm. She was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2013.
Ms. Lo received her Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Alberta in 2008. She then completed her Juris Doctor degree and Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, both at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, in 2010 and 2011, respectively.
Ms. Lo recent engagements include:
- advising and acting for a company on multijurisdictional disputes involving a defaulted loan and multiple enforcement proceedings before the courts in Hong Kong, Thailand and the British Virgin Islands
- advising and acting for a high-net-worth individual in large-scale shareholders’ disputes; the dispute has given rise to multiple unfair-prejudice petitions and high-court actions
- acting for the provisional liquidators in a high–profile, winding-up proceeding and advising on the restructuring and daily affairs of the company being petitioned
- advising and acting for global banks, a subsidiary of a conglomerate listed on the New York Stock Exchange, a subsidiary of a long-established global loss adjusting company, and ultra-high-net-worth individual on their applications for Mareva injunctions and the subsequent enforcement proceedings for the recovery of misappropriated funds
- advising and acting for two foreign banks in an arbitration and enforcement proceeding in Hong Kong and the People’s Republic of China (PRC) regarding a private equity investment in a U.S.- and PRC-based group of companies and the chairman of the group.