Chris Arntzen has extensive experience leading/managing legal teams responsible for significant, high profile strategic transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, spin-offs, split-offs, IPOs and a wide variety of other securities offerings.
Practice & Background
Mr. Arntzen has eighteen years of experience across a broad range of corporate legal matters, including securities offerings, corporate governance, SEC reporting and compliance, market communications, mergers and acquisitions, and other strategic transactions.
Mr. Arntzen received a B.A. in Economics, Political Science and Managerial Studies from Rice University in 1993 and a J.D. with honors from The University of Texas School of Law in 1996. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and the Houston Bar Association, is a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Houston Bar Foundation, and served as an officer of the Corporate Counsel Section of the Houston Bar Association from 2005-2010.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Arntzen was the Vice President, Deputy General Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary for a large-cap public utility holding company where he served as the lead supervising lawyer for all corporate securities and M&A matters of the company and its other 1934 Act reporting subsidiaries. Prior to that position, Mr. Arntzen worked for another international law firm in Houston, Texas for over thirteen years.
Mr. Arntzen’s experience includes representing:
Mergers and Acquisitions; Other Strategic Transactions
- a public utility holding company in the formation of a $10 billion midstream MLP joint venture involving another public utility holding company and affiliates of a private equity fund
- a midstream company in two acquisitions involving more than $360 million of gathering and processing assets
- a publicly traded independent oil and gas company in connection with its $3.0 billion sale transaction
- a global oilfield services company in connection with the $3 billion split-off of its 81% interest in a publicly traded global engineering, construction and services company
- the special committee of a publicly traded midstream MLP in connection with the review and negotiation of a $3 billion acquisition of natural gas and NGL assets from an affiliate, and related sale of an interest in a pipeline company to an affiliate
- an original equipment manufacturer in connection with its $1.1 billion acquisition of a Texas-based, publicly traded company engaged in the custom fabrication of tactical vehicle systems
- a public utility holding company in connection with a $3.6 billion sale and going-private transaction involving its publicly traded power generation subsidiary
- a publicly traded global provider of engineered services and products in connection with its acquisition of a privately held clamp connector manufacturer and its acquisition of a privately held deep sea engineering services company
- a public utility holding company in connection with the spin-off of a 19% interest in its then wholly owned power generation subsidiary, and the related Form 10 registration and listing of common stock
- a public utility holding company in connection with the spin-off of its 81% interest in a publicly traded power generator and retail electric provider
- a regulated electric transmission and distribution utility in its public offering of $800 million of general mortgage bonds
- a regulated electric transmission and distribution utility in the public offering of $1.7 billion of transition bonds
- a global engineering, construction and services company in its $544 million initial public offering
- the underwriters for a $223 million initial public offering by a midstream MLP
- a power generator and retail electric provider in its $1.8 billion initial public offering (the largest IPO in the history of the electric power sector at the time)
- the underwriters for public offerings of over $1.2 billion of common units and debt securities of a midstream MLP
- a public utility holding company and its predecessors and affiliates in numerous public offerings totaling over $5 billion of debt and other securities
Awards & Accolades
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2006 – 2010
- Recognized by Law & Politics as a “Texas Rising Star” 2006 – 2010.