Courtney A. Matsuishi focuses on debt financing and mergers and acquisitions.
Practice & Background
Ms. Matsuishi’s practice involves a variety of debt financing, equity financing, and mergers and acquisitions transactions, with significant experience in renewables and natural gas. She represents private equity firms, hedge funds, institutional investors, alternative capital sources and project developers and has experience with lender and borrower side representation. Her debt finance experience includes corporate working capital facilities, mezzanine financings, and secured senior and subordinated financings for acquisition, bridge, and project development and construction.
Ms. Matsuishi received her J.D. from Vanderbilt University in 2008 and her B.A. degree magna cum laude from Boston University in 2005.
A sampling of Ms. Matsuishi’s engagements includes:
- an alternative investment management firm and institutional lenders in a letter of credit and revolving corporate loan facility secured by collateral in 12 countries
- an alternative investment management firm as lender in a $50 million term loan facility
- SunPower Corporation in the development of the 135 MW Quinto photovoltaic solar project and the related US$377 million construction loan and letter of credit facility
- a private wind farm developer in a more than $1 billion omnibus debt and equity restructuring of existing corporate and turbine acquisition secured loans
- a private wind farm developer in multiple complex and coordinated letter of credit and mezzanine debt financings totaling $325 million
- a private iron ore mining company in a $45 million secured working capital and project financing
- Los Angeles Community College District in connection with development and more than $17 million financing of a multi-campus solar energy facility installation program using tax-efficient financing strategies
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Northleaf Capital Partners in acquiring a 36.7% joint venture interest from Ormat Technologies, which joint venture was valued in excess of $440 million and owns geothermal power projects developed by Ormat in Hawaii and Nevada and three recovered energy generation projects known as OREG 1, OREG 2 and OREG 3
- Northleaf Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority ownership stake in the 50.4 MW Cotton Plains Wind and 151.2 MW Old Settler Wind facilities in Floyd County, Texas and the 15.4 MWac Phantom Solar facility located at U.S. Army Garrison Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas. The power from the Cotton Plains Wind project and Phantom Solar project will be sold to the U.S. Army as party of its largest renewable energy PPA to date
- a publicly traded national veterinary hospital and laboratory chain in its $344 million acquisition of a majority interest in a group of 54 animal hospitals
- a major power company in its acquisition of an ownership interest in an approximately 925 MW gas-fired power generation facility and simultaneous $780 million non-recourse project financing
- a private equity firm in its $175 million acquisition of a minority stake in a portfolio of geothermal projects
- a publicly traded concrete company in its $24.5 million acquisition of a concrete company located in California
- Airbus Group, Inc. (formerly EADS North America) in the sale of its U.S. test and services division to Astronics Corporation for approximately $53 million
- a private solar project developer in the sale of a 1.6GW pipeline of solar projects located in the U.S. & Mexico.
- SunPower Corporation in the development and sale of the 580 MW Solar Star photovoltaic solar project to affiliates of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, the largest operating solar energy project in the world
- a private equity firm in its acquisition of a majority stake in nine product tankers
- a major power company in its acquisition of an ownership interest in an approximately 800 MW gas-fired power generation facility
- a major power company in its acquisition of, and subsequent sale of, a 50% ownership interest in an approximately 650 MW gas-fired power generation facility
Ms. Matsuishi is a member of Public Counsel’s Associate Leadership Board.
Awards & Accolades
Southern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)