Daniel G. Walsh is a partner based in Akin Gump’s London office and is a member of the firm’s management and compensation committees.
Practice & Background
Mr. Walsh has considerable experience in international and U.S. domestic acquisition, joint venture and private equity transactions. He has represented both acquirors/investors and their targets/investees in connection with acquisitions and investments in various countries throughout Europe, Russia and the CIS, Africa, Asia and the United States, and in various industries, including telecommunications, technology, mining and manufacturing.
Mr. Walsh also has considerable experience in public and private international and U.S. equity and debt offerings. He has represented both issuers and underwriters in equity and debt offerings in countries including Russia, Korea, Pakistan, Sweden, The Netherlands and the United States. The issuers in these transactions operated in various industries, including telecommunications, oil and gas, technology, manufacturing and biotechnology.
Mr. Walsh is recommended by Legal 500 within M&A: US law capability, and is recognized by Chambers UK and Chambers Europe as a Leading Individual. He has been singled out for his understanding of the Russian market, an impression that was reinforced recently through his work for Russian telecoms provider PJSC VimpelCom. He is also ranked in Chambers Global and Chambers Europe for Corporate/M&A and as an ‘Expert based Abroad’, for his experience in Russia.
The firm won “Global M&A Deal of the Year: Africa” at The American Lawyer Global Legal Awards 2015, “TMT Deal of the Year” at the TMT Finance Awards 2015 and was commended in the Corporate and Commercial category of the “FT Europe Innovative Lawyers Award” 2015 for its work representing VEON Ltd., (one of the world’s largest mobile telecommunications companies), in relation to the sale by its Egyptian-listed subsidiary, Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. , of its 51 percent stake in Omnium Telecom Algeria (previously known as Orascom Telecom Algeria) to the Fonds National d’Investissement, the Algerian National Investment Fund. The London office was awarded both Corporate Team of the Year at the Legal Business Awards 2012 and the 2011 Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Award for Legal Innovation in Emerging Markets for its representation of VEON Ltd. in its $27.5 billion acquisition of Wind Telecom. Mr. Walsh led these transactions.
Mr. Walsh received his B.A. cum laude in 1988 and his J.D. with honors in 1991 from Columbia University. He is a member of the New York Bar.
Mr. Walsh’s recent engagements include representing:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Bridas on its agreement to form the largest privately-owned integrated energy company in Argentina, through the combination of Bridas and BP plc’s interests in Pan American Energy, Argentina’s second largest producer of oil and gas, and Bridas’ interest in refiner and marketer Axion Energy
- VEON in relation to the $2.6 billion disposal by its Egyptian-listed subsidiary Global Telecom Holding (GTH) of a 51 percent stake in Orascom Telecom Algérie, the leading Algerian mobile telecommunication operator to the Algerian National Investment Fund
- VEON in its $27.5 billion acquisition of Wind Telecom, comprising mobile communications assets in Italy, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Canada and North and Sub-Saharan Africa
- Mubadala Development Company, the Abu Dhabi-based strategic development and investment company, in its $100 million investment into funds managed by Verno Capital, a specialist fund manager in the capital markets of Russia and the CIS
- PJSC VimpelCom in connection with its $30 billion exchange offer for PJSC VimpelCom and its business combination with CJSC Kyivstar G.S.M., a Ukrainian telecommunications company
- PJSC VimpelCom in its successful $4.3 billion public tender offer for Golden Telecom, Inc., a NASDAQ-listed provider of fixed line telephony and broadband Internet services in Russia and the CIS
- PJSC VimpelCom in its $340 million sale of a strategic stake to Alfa Group and Telenor ASA
- a LSE-listed U.K. airport services company in the $155 million disposition of its U.S. subsidiary to a Swiss airline group
- a U.S. private equity fund in connection with its participation in the $540 million leveraged buyout of a leading U.S. Spanish-language television network
- a NYSE-listed U.S. glass packaging company in its acquisitions of Finnish and Polish glass manufacturers.
- LUKOIL International Finance B.V. PJSC "LUKOIL": Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $1 billion, 10 year 4.750% notes by LUKOIL International Finance B.V. and guaranteed by PJSC "LUKOIL"
- VimpelCom Holdings B.V. and GTH Finance B.V. in a $1,200,000,000 dual-tranche offering of 144A/Reg S notes listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange
- VEON in numerous Rule 144A/Regulation S loan participation note offerings
- a Swedish oil refiner in its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of €100 million of subordinated notes
- the lead underwriter in the U.S. registered global offering by South Korea’s national telephone operator, of American Depositary Shares on the NYSE
- the lead underwriter in two U.S. registered global offerings by a Dutch computer chip manufacturer, of ordinary shares on NASDAQ
- a Swedish industrial group in its Rule 144A/Regulation S global equity offering of ordinary shares
- a Pakistani fibre manufacturer and the underwriters in the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of convertible bonds.