Daniel I. Fisher has a diverse corporate practice focusing on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance matters.
Practice & Background
Mr. Fisher’s mergers and acquisitions experience includes advising public and private companies in negotiated and contested acquisitions and divestitures, tender offers, exchange offers, joint ventures, spinoffs and proxy contests.
Mr. Fisher regularly advises numerous public companies on a wide variety of matters relating to securities regulation, corporate governance (including under Sarbanes-Oxley, SEC and NYSE/NASDAQ rules) and other general corporate matters. Mr. Fisher also regularly advises companies regarding SEC reporting and disclosure issues, stockholder meetings, stockholder proposals, proxy statements and proxy mechanics, as well as advises several public companies with respect to defensive review matters, including implementation of shareholders rights plans, bylaw amendments and related matters.
Mr. Fisher also has extensive experience in the corporate aspects of financial restructurings, including by acting as counsel to companies and official and informal creditors committees in chapter 11 reorganizations, out-of-court restructurings and exchange offers.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Fisher practiced in the New York and Washington offices of another leading international law firm.
Mr. Fisher has authored several articles on significant issues in corporate and securities laws, including articles that address the SEC’s internal control rules, corporate governance reforms and director elections, the SEC’s Securities Act reforms, and mandatory expensing of stock options.
Mr. Fisher was executive research editor of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transactional Law.
Mr. Fisher’s transactions include representing:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- the financial advisor to a bank holding company in its $58 billion acquisition by another bank holding company
- the special committee of the board of directors of an energy company in its consideration and ultimate acceptance of a $22 billion acquisition proposal by its CEO and a consortium of four private equity investors
- a business process outsourcing company in its consideration of an $8.2 billion acquisition proposal by its CEO and a private equity investor
- several bank holding companies in their acquisitions of, or by, other bank holding companies in separate transactions valued at $7 billion, $6.3 billion, $800 million and $500 million
- an international stock exchange in its $5 billion acquisition of another international stock exchange and its entry into a series of joint ventures and investment agreements with global exchange partners
- the financial advisors to a bank holding company in its $1.6 billion acquisition by another bank holding company
- a bank holding company in its 18-month defense against an unsolicited takeover attempt by another bank holding company, involving litigation, regulatory appeals, legislation, proxy contests and tender offers that ultimately culminated in a $400 million acquisition
- a sovereign entity in its $213 million disposition of a high-profile utility asset to a private equity investor
- a bank holding company in its $600 million private placement and subsequent exchange offer
- a manufactured home community operator in its $500 million initial public offering
- a wireless telecommunications company in its $250 million private placement and subsequent exchange offer
- a manufactured home community operator in its $125 million offering of preferred stock
- a manufactured home community operator in its $80 million rights offering.
Awards & Accolades
- Super Lawyers selected Mr. Fisher for inclusion in its 2013 Rising Stars list in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions
- Recommended by Legal 500 US in Corporate and Commercial: M&A Middle-Market (2016-2017).