- Focuses on special situations and distressed transactions.
- Advises companies and special committees on large public and private M&A transactions.
- Two decades of experience representing large-cap private equity, hedge and credit funds.
Dan Fisher, the co-leader of Akin Gump’s integrated special situations group, practices at the nexus of M&A, restructuring, securities and finance, and has market-leading experience in the unique issues raised by distressed and special situations.
- Acts as counsel to the Eastman Kodak Company, the iconic American company, following its emergence from bankruptcy in 2012. He has advised on the corporate governance issues unique to a company that has completed a Chapter 11 restructuring, as well as on special situations transactions including its recent sale of its flexographic packaging division.
- Advises Warrior Met Coal, Inc. in connection with its corporate governance and securities matters since the emergence of its predecessor company, Walter Energy, from bankruptcy. Dan led the Akin Gump corporate team representing Walter creditors in the $3.1 billion restructuring of Walter Energy through a 363 credit bid, a special situations transaction. He has subsequently represented the company and certain selling stockholders in its NYSE IPO and in subsequent offerings of debt and equity.
- Represented Neff Corporation in the company’s $1.3 billion acquisition by United Rentals, Inc. This transaction was consummated following a robust go-shop process, with Neff ultimately accepting a topping bid in excess of 20 percent greater than an original offer.
- Advising the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Papa John’s International, Inc. in connection with various matters relating to the company’s founder, John Schnatter, including an investigation into the company’s operations and in an external cultural audit of the company’s diversity and inclusion initiatives, including its supplier and vendor engagements, as well as a $200 million strategic investment from Starboard Value LP.
- Advises numerous special situations and other credit vehicles on their investments, including risk arbitrage, direct lending, out-of-court exchange offers and rescue financings.
Public Service and Affiliations