David L. Comerford is a member of Akin Gump’s litigation practice steering committee and the partner in charge of the firm’s Philadelphia office.
Practice & Background
Mr. Comerford focuses on complex class actions and other commercial litigation. He has handled matters involving business torts, contracts, accountants’ liability, lender liability, banking, securities, antitrust, RICO, ERISA, insurance and trade secrets.
Mr. Comerford repeatedly has been listed as recommended in securities litigation in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, which has stated he is an “excellent trial attorney,” that he “is renowned for his ‘stellar’ busy securities litigation practice, and is a popular choice among healthcare and accountancy firm clients” and that “he is recognized as a strong securities litigator.” Mr. Comerford has lectured on securities litigation, accountants’ liability, class actions, trade secrets, litigation avoidance and in-house counsel liability risks and has been a speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s annual seminar for business lawyers and the annual meeting of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Mr. Comerford received his B.A. in history in 1989 from the University of Virginia, where he was president of Phi Alpha Theta, the history honor society. He received his J.D. with honors in 1992 from the Rutgers University School of Law, where he served on the editorial board of the Rutgers Law Journal. He was an associate in the University of Pennsylvania American Inn of Court from 1996 to 1998. Mr. Comerford is actively involved in the Philadelphia Bar Association, where he is a member of the Business Law Section and serves on the Business Litigation Committee.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for securities litigation (2006 through 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in commercial litigation (2013 through 2018)
- Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” (2004 through 2016)
- “50 on the Fast Track” – The Legal Intelligencer and Pennsylvania Law Weekly (2002).
- “Practical Tips to Minimize Risks of Securities Litigation and Investigations,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley Chapter, April 2015.
- “Ten Practice Pointers for Handling Securities Litigation Post-Dura, Tellabs and Stoneridge,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Fourteenth Annual Business Lawyers’ Institute, November 2008.
- “Avoiding Self-Inflicted Litigation Wounds,” New York, June 2008; Philadelphia, January 2009.
- “New Litigation Threats to the Accounting Profession,” The Penn Club, New York, October 2007.
- “Mandatory Arbitration Provisions in Commercial Contracts,” Villanova University, October 2007.
- “Personal Liability Risks Facing In-House Counsel,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Delaware Valley Chapter, April and June 2007; Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Twelfth Annual Business Lawyer’s Institute, November 2006.
- “Preparing for and Surviving the New Class Action Game,” 40th Annual Lawyers’ Conference of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, May 2006.
- “Protecting Your Trade Secrets Under the New Pennsylvania Uniform Trade Secrets Act,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Tenth Annual Business Lawyer’s Institute, October 2004
- “Ways to Avoid Costly Litigation,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Eighth Annual Business Lawyer’s Institute, October 2002
- “Artful and Inartful Dodging – How Much Candor Do We Need?,” with The Honorable John Herron, Thomas Kline and Marshall Walthew, University of Pennsylvania Law School, March 1998.