David Phelps focuses on real estate transactions, primarily representing private equity funds, capital markets clients and other institutional investors in the acquisition, development, financing and restructuring of various real estate projects, with an emphasis on the hospitality sector.
Practice & Background
Mr. Phelps represents international and domestic clients, including developers, institutional real estate companies, capital providers, private equity investors, owners and operators in venture formation, equity financing, construction and permanent financing, acquisition, disposition, development, leasing, operation, management, repositioning, workouts and restructuring on a wide range of property types. These property types include hotel (including condo-hotels, resorts, branded condominiums, private residence, clubs and timeshare, spas, restaurants, casinos, golf courses and country clubs, amusement parks and other hospitality and recreational properties and businesses worldwide), office, multi-unit residential (luxury apartments and student housing), industrial, medical office, and shopping center projects.
Mr. Phelps is experienced in multimillion dollar complex joint venture transactions and has particular depth in representing both owners/developers and equity investors in structuring complex joint ventures for acquisition and development of individual and multiple properties and for fund and portfolio transactions. His client base includes international and domestic financial institutions, pension plans and private equity sources and their advisors, major investment funds, private real estate owners and developers, real estate investment trusts and affordable housing investors and developers.
- Member of the California Bar Association as well as the Los Angeles Bar Association (Real Property Section)
- Active participant in the National Association of Industrial and Office
- Active participant in ALIS (Americas Lodging Investment Summit) and NYU Hotel Conference
- Active participant in Heal the Bay
- Member of Stanford Professionals in Real Estate (SPIRE).
Awards & Accolades
- Named as one of California’s “Super Lawyers” from 2004 through 2009
- Recommended by Legal 500 US in Corporate and Commercial: M&A Middle-Market (2016).
- Chaired industry panels on the financing and restructuring of distressed hospitality assets
- Lectured on complex joint ventures and presented on the topics of documentation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements as well as the documentation and negotiation of construction contracts and related agreements
- Made numerous oral and written presentations on the subjects of conveyancing, equity financing, title insurance and survey matters
- Presented on the topics of documenting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements as well as the documenting and negotiation of construction contracts and related agreements.