Dmitry Shiryaev is the Head of Banking at Akin Gump’s Moscow office. He advises Russian and international lenders, borrowers and sponsors on a broad range of banking, finance and capital markets transactions, including secured and unsecured syndicated and club loans, ECA covered and other trade finance transactions, project finance, securitizations as well as in relation to restructurings, insolvency proceedings and related litigation.
Dmitry has acted on finance transactions relating to various industry sectors such as oil and gas, metals and mining, energy, manufacturing, infrastructure and transportation.
Dmitry is particularly valued by clients for his ability to deal with complex transactions and difficult legal issues. He has advised clients and led teams on a variety of high level, pioneer and innovative transactions including:
- PJSC “LUKOIL” and LUKOIL International Finance B.V. in a $1,000,000,000 offering of 144A/Reg S notes listed on the London Stock Exchange
- PJSC UTair on the $809 million refinancing of its debt portfolio
- ABN AMRO Bank, Barclays Capital, BNP Paribas, Calyon and others as mandated lead arrangers in relation to pre-export finance facilities for state oil company Rosneft, totalling US$9 billion and based on the so called “Lucille” structure. Dmitry was one of the creators of the structure in 2001;
- Barclays Capital, BNP Paribas, the Bank of Moscow, the Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi, Citibank, Commerzbank, ING Bank, NATIXIS, Nordea Bank, RBS, Sberbank, Société Générale, Sumitomo Mitsui, Unicredit Bank, VTB and WestLB on US$ 2 billion club facility for OAO Tatneft, the biggest cross-border loan facility in Russia in 2010;
- Barclays Capital and Gazprombank as lead arrangers of the first Russian cross-border securitization of foreign currency denominated mortgage loans of GPB Ipoteka as originator;
- Evraz Group, a multinational vertically integrated steel making and mining company, on a US$1,8 billion refinancing facilities provided by Vnesheconombank (VEB);
- OMK Steel Ltd on a EUR198 million ECA covered project related syndicated loan facility arranged by SACE;
- Société Générale and ING Bank N.V. on a US$900 million syndicated secured pre-export loan facility to OAO Siberian Coal and Energy Company (SUEK) named “Loan of the Year 2010, Russia” by one of the international legal magazines;
- Sberbank of Russia as arranger of a US$650 million highly structured syndicated facility for Reso group, a leading Russian insurance group;
- Uralkali, a world leading Russian potash fertilizer company, on facilities exceeding, in total, US$ 2 billion provided by the syndicates of international banks (including a US$1 billion syndicated loan facility arranged by Bank of America Merrill Lynch). Dmitry is the creator of the proforma PXF loan facility for Uralkali;
- VSMPO Avisma on their first ever international syndicated facility of US$120 million arranged by Credit Agricole;
- WestLB, Unicredit, ABN AMRO Bank as well as Russia’s Bank of Moscow, Gazprombank and Nordea Bank as arrangers of a US$1.5 billion syndicated pre-export facility for JSC Tatneft. The deal was named “Best Loan 2009” by Euroweek Loan Awards 2009 and “Best Deal 2009” by Global Trade Finance Magazine.
- LUKOIL International Finance B.V. PJSC "LUKOIL": Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $1 billion, 10 year 4.750% notes by LUKOIL International Finance B.V. and guaranteed by PJSC "LUKOIL"
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers 2017-2018 - ranked among top Banking and Finance lawyers in Russia.
- Chambers Europe 2016-2017 – ranked for Banking and Finance work
- Chambers Global 2016-2017 – ranked for Banking and Finance work
- Legal 500 EMEA 2014, 2017 – ranked for Banking and Finance work